Black Americana Sprinklin Sambo

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by AlienArtifactZ, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Purchased this recently recently, thought it was a great find! What you do you all think? Is it legit? I figured Id take a shot on it and see. I Paid 130 bucks for it on a whim.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    komokwa likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

How the heck does it work? I see the short length of hose, but beyond that, can't figure.

judy likes this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I image it spins. Honestly though,why would you have wanted such a thing ??? Im no social justice warrior,but this stuff has no place in the modern world,in my humble opinion.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

We get this stuff into the auction house occasionally & the most ardent bidders for the stuff is usually our African-American patrons. I personally wouldn't buy it, but I would never deny anyone else the right to buy whatever it is that they want at an auction or anyone else. JMHO

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Now I see how it works. Thanks, Book!

judy and AlienArtifactZ like this.

7. Because I like it. It has plenty of place in this world as well as the world of the future.

Did you know they have one of these in the Jim Crow museum along with a whole array of other items that are similar out in Michigan?

Education of history is important.

Christmasjoy, judy, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I had a jockey type cement lamp post that was supposed to be one of Geo Washington's slaves holding a horse until he froze to death. I do not believe it to be true but that is the old story. I had it for sale at a yard sale and had three people of color fighting over it as well as one white woman. I ended up not selling it and putting it in the basement. I gave it to a person who collects black memorabilia went I was moving. I should have taken the 900 dollars it was up to.
    greg

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

We can agree to disagree then. :) I grew up in a world where this sort of thing was not uncommon,nor was the casual racism that went with it. My great aunt loved herself some Mammy kitchen decor,she also used the "N" word without hesitation. I cant help but wonder,in this current culture,if the people,other than african americans,who want things like this arent the same way.A museum is the only place I think stuff like this should be.But please dont think I judge anyone for wanting it.

10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Being that kind of person, it irritates me that the name Sambo came to be used this way. The story of Little Black Sambo is set in India.

all_fakes, Christmasjoy, judy and 3 others like this.
  11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Bronwen,
    I fully agree with you. Little Black Sambo was a great book to me as a child. I loved they turned into pancakes and syrup.
    greg

12. Bronwen

Granted the characters seem stereotyped & cartoonish to an adult, but I too loved the outwitting of the tiger, its sticky end, little Sambo's finery, particularly the parasol, & understood it as a story about a clever & lucky child with loving family. Although think I also envied them living where tigers can talk.

Epaminondas is another one that is no longer politically correct, that I just found amusing, true to life in the continuous exasperation of adults with children, even though the children are doing their best to learn the rules & follow them...In no way did I regard it as some kind of sociological guide to black people.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    judy likes this.
  13. Bronwen

Well, this ties together some strands of this thread.

"The women in Epaminondas and His Auntie do not have names. They have the appellations Auntie and Mammy. These are not names they are racial ranks.... Mammy and Aunt(ie) are not people; rather, they are racial caricatures."

Gee, I could have sworn they are caricatures of women.

judy likes this.
  14. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Although not my cup of tea I feel EVERYONE should enjoy collecting whatever they choose, one of my antique dolls is a black baby doll .. they bring higher prices on the market and are out of my league now. Just enjoy collecting, that's all .. ENJOY !!! .. Joy. :)

15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Would have helped to see the whole thing right side up, but whatever. I have sold a number of Black Americana pieces to collectors

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted