Featured Black beaded collar, Victorian?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by say_it_slowly, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You can test a bead by rubbing it on the back of a tile. (Or any unglazed pottery you happen to have.:playful:) If it is jet it leaves a black-grey stripe.

Otherwise it is cut glass, which is called 'French jet' but is neither French nor jet. It was usually made in Bohemia.

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Thanks for the testing tip:).

I just tried it on the back of a modern tile without seeing a mark however it's a bit coarse so not sure it would show easily. I'll look around for a few different and smoother unglazed bits and try again! (After I recover a bit now that my dog sitting duties are over):D

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and Born2it like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think the ones in question are glass too. If you look closely at the bead holes under a loupe they won't be drilled. They'll be molded. Dead giveaway.

4. say_it_slowly

I did my best:). My poor eyes even with my loupe can't really see well enough into the bead holes to say for sure but the beads haven't made any marks on the various surfaces I've tried them on so I'm fairly sure they are glass.

Thank you all for your help:)

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  5. say_it_slowly

Just an update. I contacted my sister with some info on the collar and she does think it was her grandmother's and does want it! I am so pleased and thank you all!

As an aside, I was googling her location which is some 2,800 miles from me. Google says I can walk there in 38 days. (No not planning that)

I'm sorry, I'm a good walker but walking 3 mph, 24 hrs a day, that might to true. But humans do need to sleep :D

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Wonderful!
    Maybe if you book some nice (historic?) inns along the way?:angelic:;)

say_it_slowly and Born2it like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Or better yet antique sales?

say_it_slowly likes this.
  8. say_it_slowly

It made me giggle a bit. Probably more realistic would be 10 miles or so a day considering there are mountains, deserts, rivers etc. That's 280 days to me:D I better get started:hilarious:

Any Jewelry and Figtree3 like this.
  9. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

I think they are jet also. And I agree that I think it was a dress adornment - tacked down and removed for cleaning or when the item was worn out.
    The jets make me think Victorian - but the long dangles, and squarish design make me think Deco era.

Cool piece!
    Leslie

say_it_slowly likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted