Black Beads Help

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by cxgirl, Jan 19, 2020.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    Just wondering what the black beads are on this necklace - I thought glass and put them in a bowl with soap and water to let them sit and soak/loosen off the grunge that was on them. Grunge has slowly come off and looks to have eaten/damaged the bead, once dried you can see some stuff still on them. Some black comes off when I was rubbing them - any ideas?
    any information appreciated
    thanks for looking:)
    DSCF6935.jpeg DSCF6959.jpeg DSCF6967.jpeg DSCF6927.jpeg

Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Some old jet looking black things are a faceted glass shell "glued/filled" with some kind of shellac on metal sheet.
    Mysterious material!:cyclops::bucktooth:

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks kyratango, mysterious material works for me:) Shame they aren't glass, would have been a pretty necklace

4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Ive got lots of black bead necklaces that I have no idea what they are. Black is just so difficult to assess. Sorry no idea what yours are that could be that delicate you couldn't even go out in the rain!. Agree a lovely style of necklace though.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    cxgirl, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I brightened your pics a bit, it looks like it is some kind of organic material that was still in the process of hardening/fossilization, like bog oak.
    I wonder if they are antique beads which have been repurposed. Bog oak was mostly used in the 19th century.

upload_2020-1-20_14-50-31.jpeg

cxgirl and KSW like this.
  6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks AJ:) yes, could be something organic. The grunge that was on them looked like mold, some still visible in the photos. Not sure if it can be completely removed or if it would be worth it, most of the beads are damaged

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Yes, it does. I don't think they can be saved.:( The other beads can still be used though.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    KSW and kyratango like this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

@cxgirl do you think they could be vulcanite?. They look very similar to these.
    FullSizeRender.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Good possibility from the pic, but never seen faceted vulcanite:bucktooth:
    Those black materials can be very tricky to id:facepalm:

KSW likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

I don't think vulcanite, which is vulcanized rubber, can develop mould/mold like that.

KSW and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted