Black Coffin Shaped Tin (military?)

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Nathan Lindop, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

3. Any Jewelry

@Fid were you able to change your name? That could be something for @i need help.

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Ah @Fid it worked.

I emailed Peter a while back with your request , he must have been away and unable to do it until now.

5. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I hate to suggest an unromantic possibility but some machine tooling can be very expensive and back in 20th C was sometimes stored in individual metal boxes, sometimes lined with wood. The boxes I’ve seen all US-made, were all square or rectangular, but “you never know.”

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

OPs piece looks more mass produced and cold compared to the ones being posted. Plain black paint, no liner. It doesn't feel like it's meant for remains or to memorialize something. Lots of wear too. Doesn't seem like it was just sitting around or on display.

Christmasjoy and moreotherstuff like this.
  7. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Perhaps I’m confused but I thought OP was reposting photos from an Eboo auction, the auction number posted. If so only one item is posted. Right? Rong?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Absolutely right.

The miniature coffins I posted and the links Fid posted are just that, miniature coffins. So not tins.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

? I just said the original posters item does not compare to what others are posting or talking about in this thread. They are all interesting items though.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

yep. feeling like reborn.

Figtree3, Christmasjoy, SBSVC and 3 others like this.
  11. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

Yeh Kronos I totally agree this doesn’t resemble a coffin in material or because of the latches/loops on it. It’s more something novelty coffin shaped.

Anything oldish would have been sympathetically made of wood I’d assume.

Just going to be one of those where you can’t know without having the original item that fit it

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I can't think of any tool that would fit.
    Ozzy Osbourne's sandwich box from his schooldays ?

13. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I'm still leaning towards the little coffin with the pop-up skeleton that I saw on Ebay about 10yrs ago .. you flipped the lid and the skeleton sat bolt upright .. just sayin' and I won't say it again !! haha ... :) Joy.

14. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Another thought is that the coffin shape works very well as a container for things that happen to fit it; there are coffin-shaped violin and mandolin cases, for example. It may be that this was a case for something that just happened to need a case of that shape. A set of jeweler's or clock-maker's tools, but there could be many other possibilities.
    The inner tray makes me think this was something necessary and important, and useful, to the person that owned it.

15. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

But it's only about 6" long and 1-2" wide .. too small for those items ... Joy.

i need help and Fid like this.
  16. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Just suggesting some possibilities; and some jeweler's and clockmaker's tools are very small; but what I mean is that the inner tray, and the quality of construction, make me think this was made for storage of something useful, not purely decorative, and there are a great many things that could fit a coffin-shaped case; almost anything that is wide near one end, and narrow at the other. And given the tray, perhaps a set of two or more similar items. Spare nibs for drafting pens, might be another thought.

17. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

That did very well. I was also considering bidding, and didn't because of the shipping cost. As it happens, it didn't matter: any bid of mine would have been blown out of the water.

I think the box has too many latches to be for storing things like tools. It was meant to close very securely. It might be a pet coffin for something like like a canary.

Too bad we can't see who bought it. Hopefully they know what it is.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Peter May writes mysteries and he wrote one called the Coffin Road.

daveydempsey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted