Featured Black DD M35 SS Stahlhelm

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by CluelessFarmBoy, Jul 25, 2021.

1. CluelessFarmBoy

CluelessFarmBoy Active Member

Hey everyone, just back from vacation and I have much to share...I'm going to first show this German Stahlhelm so I can get rid of it quickly, this thing gives me the creeps but I could not pass it up as I know that, if authenticated, it could be worth thousands to tens of thousands of dollars, apparently the SS Stahlhelm is the most sought after for most collectors. Well, I tried my darndest to identify whether this is a great condition authentic or just a decent replica, due to my limited knowledge, no experience with war relics combined with a few DIY authentication YouTube videos.....I still can't tell, anyone see any red flags? How about green? kmc_20210725_061331.jpg kmc_20210725_061334.jpg kmc_20210725_061320.jpg kmc_20210725_061338.jpg

2. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Don’t know if authentic. Also I don’t like researching this. Looks too ‘new’/well kept and the colours to fresh and bright to me (but really I know nothing of military stuff) I do know you should get rid of it,bad karma and sad history!

pearlsnblume and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  3. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

Some detailed pictures of the inside would help, some history of where you got it (ww2 vet estate etc) would help also as it could be a bring back kept in an attic (I doubt it) These are faked all the time and all it takes is some paint and decals. The style is right but need much more info.

4. CluelessFarmBoy

Coming right up

5. CluelessFarmBoy

I was thinking the same thing but according to what I've researched in the last couple days is that the black SS m35s never seen combat use, they were given to mostly parade units from what I understand I'm sure there's much more to it than that and probably some of them did see combat but I don't know

6. CluelessFarmBoy

kmc_20210725_130711.jpg kmc_20210725_130619.jpg kmc_20210725_130435.jpg kmc_20210725_130228.jpg kmc_20210725_061354.jpg kmc_20210725_130711.jpg kmc_20210725_130619.jpg kmc_20210725_130435.jpg kmc_20210725_130228.jpg kmc_20210725_061354.jpg
    Doubles! Oops....

7. CluelessFarmBoy

The rolled brim is tight all the way around, can't read what the markings say, numerals I think, the leather lining could have been redone but it does smell old and musty.

judy likes this.
  8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

9. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

there you go, thanks fid!

judy likes this.
  10. CluelessFarmBoy

judy likes this.
  11. CluelessFarmBoy

I also just spoke with my good friend that I picked this up from and he said that he got this helmet when he was 12 from his friends younger brother who had gotten it from his Grandfather who did indeed fight in ww2, the boy had wanted a switchblade knife that my friend had just won at the country fair and he has had it since. That was twenty three years ago. I think I'm going to take it to a local appraiser and see what they think.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    judy likes this.
  12. CluelessFarmBoy

Ok so it's not a replica, but it's also not original and it's not an SS, apparently it's a German M40 Stahlhelm that has been "restored" and whoever did it attempted to turn it into the coveted SS by painting it black and applying the appropriate decals which I'm told are very good replicates but obviously recently manufactured and applied. The headliner metal bands are original as are the chin straps from the rivet to the connector, the rest of the chin strap has been replaced as has the entire headliner. The serial numbers inside of the brim have been purposely filed down perhaps to prevent the determination of this Stahlhelm's origins which would show that it was never an SS nor parade issue. Estimated value: $75-$125

moreotherstuff likes this.
  13. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

A collector of long standing told me some years back, that if you can chip the decal with your thumb nail, don't touch it. Evidently the real decals were baked on and do not flake off when treated like that. So I was informed. The other thing that rings bells with me, not that I am any kind of expert on these things I must admit!, is the width of the border on the decals. they appear to be far to wide for my liking. Those that I have seen tend to have a quite narrow border to the decal, perhaps only a couple of mm's or so. These are much wider.
    Just my two cents!

CluelessFarmBoy likes this.
  14. CluelessFarmBoy

Those two cents could be worth hundreds, especially to a war relic noob like myself if it helps one to be able to identify a fake, much appreciated, cheers!

15. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I have sold a number of world war I and II us helmets. The guts are new even if it was never worn the leather would have aged.

Fid likes this.
  16. CluelessFarmBoy

Yup, I did say the headliner was replaced but thanks for pointing out the bit about the leather being aged, those little details are overlooked by lots of people, myself included. Now whose ready for something else!!! (raises hand)

Draft saved Draft deleted