Black Knight Pheasants and Fruits Plates Fine China

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Robin Kephart, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Robin Kephart

Robin Kephart New Member

I can’t seem to find much information on these dishes. Can anyone assist?

Attached Files:

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

You can see that the gold mark is covering another mark. That indicates a decorator company using blanks from someone else.

i need help and Bakersgma like this.
  3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I read in a listing that the Black Knight is the mark of N.Y. importer Graham and Zenger, used about 1925-41, but you should verify.

i need help likes this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Interestingly, I had a soup bowl apparently from the same decorator, but I guess no other mark to cover:
    upload_2020-11-11_10-0-43.png

upload_2020-11-11_10-0-29.png

5. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

kentworld and i need help like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

7. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Lovely plate!

9. Chandler In Las Vegas

Chandler In Las Vegas Active Member

Black Selb 1a.jpg Black Selb 2 stamp.jpg It appears to me that a simple blank would not need a registered pat, number. Has anyone else found that Continental "blanks" can include the gold verge and rim? I see the same verges and rims across many patterns as I do with those eternal medallion basket decals. I have a dozen of these^^^ in black with simple, un-encrusted verge and rim. The back stamp is the size of a tic-tac and the picture was the best of a dozen. I seem to have the gold foot on most of my "German-ish" plates as well.

Attached Files:

kentworld likes this.
  10. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you're asking, but the OP's plate seems to indicate that the decoration is registered, not the blank.

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

If you hold the plate to a strong light, you might be able to make out the name under that gold mark.

12. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

They definitely made some of the most beautiful & elegant Restaurantware i've ever seen.Here's a piece I found on Ebay w/a crest & the title 'Coronado'. Whether this is for the famous Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego,who knows ?
    PS-Some of Hutschenreuther's figural pieces seem command decent money.

CORONADO JPEG.jpg

moreotherstuff likes this.
  13. bosko69

There were tons of American-made china companies back then,so perhaps the 'Black Knight' line offered something different from Mayer,Shenango,Homer Laughlin,etc ?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2023
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Bakersgma likes this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The Coronado expedition ended in eastern Kansas, almost reaching St. Louis which explains the name.

Debora

16. bosko69

Thanks Debora-The Coronado sat vacant for decades,but then was bought & restored & became student housing & retail space.These old grand old hotels are some of America's best historic architecture & so many have been demolished-good to see a survivor.

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I agree.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted