Featured Blacklight results! THRILLING

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by BoudiccaJones, Jun 12, 2020.

1. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

...have been having SO.MUCH.FUNNNN !

Was very hard to get a pic of what I wanted ( quelle surprise!!) but I did try to keep it together.
    *BUT I GOT CITED*

Thankfully for once Madam Nature was somewhat on my side...tis dark as the grave here today ( not that it helped much but I did get some sort of reactions)

This one is just big bits of turquoise looking stuff,and amber looking stuff
    [​IMG]

The *turquoise* went wild and the other just glowed peacefully...does that mean it's dyed?
    [​IMG]

This is one of the amber ones you, my friends,told me were amber,I thought was plastic with a coating
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is this uranium glass,friends?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one is the one with the stripes I showed yesterday xx
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had this one lying 'round, I think it's reconstituted amber? It was interesting to see the reaction
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got loads and loads more...my Lurcher is sat on me now and she's not that little
    EEEK AM BEING SQUASHED

2. BoudiccaJones

This was interesting to me...I have loads of those amber coloured glass necklaces, faceted ones...I have five or so or more of them, just can't leave them behind it appears.
    (I don't think they are like these loose beads...well actually I don't know because I didn't test em but I don't think they all react like but I don't know )
    Anyway I blacklighted one of them, loose beads and this happened...is that uranium or whatever it is again? xx

[​IMG]

This is a bead from the above box
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Think the above one is this one, getting confuzzled
    [​IMG]

I thought these may have been bakelite but they glow?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GOT LOADS MORE!!! xx

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  3. BoudiccaJones

These didn't react at all, so am going to simi them bit later

[​IMG]

4. BoudiccaJones

Well...I did it...the tests were a bit ambiguous so I put 'em in a bag and got it warm,and sniffed...all three smell like bakelite.
    There was a definite change...one went yellowish almost immediately,the others just had a small change

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. BoudiccaJones

This is what happened with these white glass ones I am obsessed with
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure if it's a reaction, or not? xx

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Whoa! bou bou. Amber & Bakelite everywhere!

I'm afraid the answer is not.

7. Bronwen

Yes, although when it is this yellow color it is sometimes called Vaseline glass.

No turquoise that I've ever UVed looked like that, so either something else altogether or you're right & it has to do with a treatment.

The orange one surprised me most & I don't know what would be in the glass to produce that effect. Cool though.

8. Bronwen

Have been struck by your use of 'sight hound' & 'lurcher'. I never hear them in the US. I know I have encountered them (well, 'gaze hound' which I assume is the same as 'sight hound') is in a fictional account of hunting in an imaginary setting that is roughly Medieval. Are they still in common use in the UK?

judy, kyratango, KSW and 2 others like this.
  9. BoudiccaJones

A sighthound is a doggo like a greyhound or whippet...or saluki like @KSW 's beauty xx
    (I think it means the doggo is SO fast he/she can keep the prey in sight.)

Luna is a lurcher as she's half a sighthound ( greyhound) and half a working breed (she is half pit but they are illegal here) ... a *longdog* is two different sighthounds mixed.
    I've had lurchers all my life...my second dog was a whippet lurcher,and my Emms was a whippet/collie lurcher. SO clever. (Well they all are )
    I love lurchers and always want one in my life. Loved my Brandy Snap so much that I just HAVE to have one as my best friend.
    Luna as I mentioned is half pit,so she's a Bull Lurcher...they are a new *thing* that I didn't even know existed before I'd had her for 6 months :O
    She kept getting BIGGER and more MUSCULAR and I thought wtaf...she is HENCH. So I googled and discovered she's a bull lurcher.
    My girl has some muscles! My other lurchers weren't as hench or *phat* as this one is.

This is my boy Brandy Snap. Much loved even now though he left in 1992. ('nother pic of my Brown :O .Too many pics of my Brown Hair! )

Animals have NEVER let me down. They simply don't know how <3
    [​IMG]

10. BoudiccaJones

Many thanks Cuz... xx

judy, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  11. Bronwen

My understanding was it is because they hunt by sight rather than by smell.

So, would other words for 'lurcher' be 'mongrel' & 'mixed breed'? The moggies of the dog world?

judy, kyratango and KSW like this.
  12. BoudiccaJones

I dunno if my great pics show, Cuz but the glass ones react a leetle. Well maybe not react but they are a teeny bit different...they are only glass anyway but it is a little different I think maybe? )

It could well be because they hunt by sight not smell,that's another reason they give, but they don't actually *see* they sense movement ... I don't know which is the real reason x
    No, not mongrels ...even though they technically are, (*actually they were probably the first designer mongrel*) a lurcher is a real *thing*... not like Cockerpoo's or any of these new things . There is a story that because only nobility were allowed to have sighthounds ,someone got hold of one somehow and mated him/her with a normal doggo so they could have one. They used a rough coated dog so the sighthoundness could be hidden but they are more often smooth coated now .
    Lurcher means quiet mongrel! as they were named after a Romany word lur which means steal or rob,and cur as a mixed breed. They were traditionally Romany ( I think Romany anyway) dogs ... Luna isn't quiet. Lol

13. BoudiccaJones

Though lurchers ARE mongrels, I've never heard em called that ( that I can remember) it's interesting...I've had three as I keep saying...Brandy Snap was whippet and god only knows...Emma was whippet/collie and Luna is grey/pit and they are more similar than they are different.

judy, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  14. Bronwen

I found these words in T.H. White's The Once and Future King. He researched it heavily. Another word & type of dog that were new to me when I first read it was 'alaunt'. Was wondering whether, if 'lurcher' has a Romany origin, it would be an anachronism in King Arthur's world, as White created it, but the Internet tells me maybe not. I have a condensed OED that would have something to say on this, but it's too big a pain to get it out. My vintage Webster's says 'lurch' in its archaic sense means a person getting ahead of another to gain advantage in getting something, hence to steal. It does not credit the Rom.

judy, kyratango and BoudiccaJones like this.
  15. Bronwen

Are they opalescent?

16. BoudiccaJones

Interesting! I don't know if anyone actually knows for sure . I've never heard of alaunt,off to educate meself ... thank you Cuz!

judy likes this.
  17. BoudiccaJones

Shall I try and take a pic Cuz tomorrow morning in the dark? xx
    (It could very well be me imagining things) xx

judy likes this.
  18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Lurchers are very specific. They have to be half sight hound. A mongrel can be any old mix.

You've a goodly lot of amber there.

judy, kyratango, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  19. BoudiccaJones

That's what I meant! Thank you Mrs. B xx

I am so lucky to be surrounded by SO MUCH AMBER <3

judy, kyratango, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  20. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Wow, Bou you have been a whirlwind this morning!.
    My understanding is that the orange ones contain manganese. I was corrected that it was cadmium but most of my research shows cadmium glows more yellow. Whichever they are they are stunning!
    These are mine, like little balls of lava!.

16E2005A-32F4-4F0E-9F88-8C7844CE3B25.JPG IMG_2133.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted