Blue and White Pot

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Melanie Farnfield, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Melanie Farnfield

Melanie Farnfield New Member

Hi everyone, I need help again! This time for a 5 inch Blue and white pot. The only thing I can tell you is it's fairly old. There are no markings. The varnish on the rim of the lid has worn which I believe is due to the age!!!

Attached Files:

2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Hi, Melanie, and welcome!

I love blue & white ceramics and think your piece is very pretty. I am no expert, but I am wondering if that lid actually belongs to that base? To me, it looks like a vase married to the lid from a different kind of vessel(?)

The experts will undoubtedly be along soon, so take what I've said with a grain of salt!

Christmasjoy, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  3. Melanie Farnfield

Melanie Farnfield New Member

Looking at it closely, you are probably right. It was my grandmothers and I've always known the two together. Thanks for your reply.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You are absolutely right. The lid would have been on a vase with the same cherry blossom decoration. Lids get damaged very easily, hence the chipping of the glaze.
    I love the dragon.:)
    They are both Japanese, that gorgeous blue is very much Japan. I think both were new when your grandmother bought them.

Draft saved Draft deleted