Blue Nun Vintage German Wine

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Kerrbearrxo, Oct 30, 2020.

1. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

When I first moved to the Country in 77 I was pregnant. Didn't work for a while. Took a part time job at a liquor store when my son was three and his Dad was home at night to watch him. Blue Nun was a very popular wine at that time here. If I remember correctly it was the younger crowds that wanted it. I live in wine country in NY State so there were a lot of different local brands of wine also to chose but a very large group of people wanted the Blue Nun. Even had a few people order it in lots. Truthfully, I never heard of Matoos wine though.

TraceyB, antidiem and DragonflyWink like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Liebfraumilch.was my choice...but the Nun was good in a pinch...

TraceyB, DragonflyWink and ulilwitch like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Its really called Mateus Rose:hilarious:

TraceyB, ulilwitch and Fid like this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Hehe, it's 'Mateus' - should have been there with the other cheap wines (I still have one of the green Rosé bottles somewhere)...

~Cheryl

TraceyB, komokwa and ulilwitch like this.
  7. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

BUT...made great candle holder!!

TraceyB, komokwa, KSW and 3 others like this.
  8. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

I remember when some people thought it was so sophisticated to drink Blue Nun wine.

TraceyB and KSW like this.
  9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I tried that only once, didn't like it either.

I had one bottle of "Black Cat" brand (badazz wine) in 1982 that I drank that didn't spaz me out! I didn't know it back then, but the preservatives got me! ;) So I wasn't just suffering because I'd been drinking! :cat:

In about 2006, I was gifted a beautiful bottle of 2002 wine without preservatives. When split between 4 friends, we had a lovely afternoon of it. I never felt ill from it. No idea where to find that kind. It was a Cali vino, so maybe nevermore anyway.:sorry:

TraceyB and KSW like this.
  10. antidiem

Loved watching the videos, Ann Meara, Peter Sichel, I even remember the commercial as a young adult, thanks, SBSVC! :joyful::kiss:

TraceyB likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

anti, you need to look for organic wines. They don't have added sulphites.

Yeah, Matoos is Mateus. ;)

TraceyB likes this.
  12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Haha! Absolutely right!

TraceyB likes this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I can’t drink red wine at all and I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m allergic or very sensitive to something in it. My chest tightens up and my joints ache within minutes of drinking even a small amount.

TraceyB likes this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

There's more histamines in red, and sometimes more sulphites, too.

TraceyB and komokwa like this.
  15. antidiem

Thank you, Bear! :cat::kiss: Surely so.

You do realize that's the start of anaphylaxis, which comes in MANY forms! ;) KSW, you may have a sulphite or histamine problem too! I don't drink any alcohol anymore, haven't in decades. ..except I did have that one red bottle of organic wine back in '06! ;)

KSW, TraceyB and Ownedbybear like this.
  16. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Mateus was "the" wine when I was in college. I hated it then, and I'm sure I would still hate it today!

I still have the small, empty bottle from a Mateus birthday gift ca.1973 or 1974. If I recall correctly, I poured out the wine, then used the bottle to root philodendron plants over the next few years:
    1970s mini Mateus.JPG

(Why I still have this bottle is a darned good question - altho I DO remember who gave it to me!)

TraceyB, antidiem, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  17. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

All the organic wines I find here are made from organic grapes but do contain sulphites :(

TraceyB and antidiem like this.
  18. antidiem

I guess we sensitive ones need to find homespun :joyful:

I love that you still have the bottle, Bear! Rooting philodendron cuttings is a much better use. The bottles were so nice and thick, pretty glass.

SBSVC and TraceyB like this.
  19. TraceyB

TraceyB Well-Known Member

Oh gosh!!!! I can remember that in Aus from years ago. Never liked it. Yuk!! :sour::sour::sour:

20. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Mateus and Lancers were the "sophisticated" wine of choice for those uninformed and on a budget. Much better, at least in appearance, than Gallo or Tyrolia. Blue Nun came around a bit later. By that time, I had mostly moved on to drinking better wines but am sure I sampled a bottle or two of the Nun.

Draft saved Draft deleted