Blue on Burnished Black Pottery Bird Effigy Figurine. Native American?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by lauragarnet, Sep 5, 2014.

1. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

009-POTTERY-OWL-BLUE-ON-BURNISHED-BLACK-TRIBAL-600-PIX-W.jpg 004-POTTERY-OWL-BLUE-ON-BURNISHED-BLACK-TRIBAL-600-PIX-HT.jpg 003-POTTERY-OWL-BLUE-ON-BURNISHED-BLACK-TRIBAL-600-PIX-HT.jpg 011-POTTERY-OWL-BLUE-ON-BURNISHED-BLACK-TRIBAL-600-PIX-HT.jpg
    4.5 inches tall.
    Burnished black pottery, incised designs, blue paint accents the eyes, beak and carved geometric patten.

Googling, I have found a stacked owl "totem pole" and another smaller figurine carved, burnished black with blue paint like mine.
    And a burnished black, carved frog whistle with red paint.
    No one seems to know the origin.

Thanks in advance for all info or clues!

2. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Not Native American. That much I'm confident of. Where it's actually from, though, would have to be a guess in this case, as I haven't seen one before like this. Best guess would be Mexico, but it might be from Peru.

3. lauragarnet

Hi Taupou, Thanks for having a look and sharing your best guess. Hope you had a nice weekend!

4. lauragarnet

Just an update. I've by now found a couple owls like this with Mexico scratched into the bottom, so Mexican pottery it is.

5. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Thank you for the update! It's always a satisfying feeling to find these small mysteries solved.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted