Blue & white stoneware pitcher

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by terry5732, May 15, 2015.

1. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

About a quart or 1-1/2. Unmarked, glazed bottom.

0514 feather.jpg

KingofThings and Bakersgma like this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Terry,
    You know we like to see bottoms. A lot of times the way it is finished on the bottom can give us better items.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

mmmmmmm................... Nope. ;)

4. FlyingButtonRanch

FlyingButtonRanch Crazy for old clothes buttons!

Pretty! I have a few similar jug/pitcher pieces here at home. One was my husband's grandmother's piece. I think the pattern is referred to as an Acanthus Leaf. Looks like Stoneware, and I think generally called Salt Glaze. The cobalt pieces are popular with the Country crowd, but do best when they have some kind of pictorial (love birds, people, scene, etc.).

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It is absolutely not salt glaze. Without seeing the base, can't really tell whether it's stoneware, but I doubt it.

fidbald likes this.
  6. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

The base glaze is Bristol glaze with the cobalt airsprayed on. It is indeed stoneware.
    As Terry sez in the title this is typically called "Blue and White Stoneware" over here. Made for the ol' farmer's kitchen circa 1900-1930(?)or so. Produced by MANY MANY potteries over the years such as Brush, Redwing, Monmouth, etc. ad infinitum.

7. terry5732

I'm sure I've seen the pattern before, but maybe on a pot or vase. The vessel form and glaze have the feel of Old Sleepy Eye.
    0514 acanthus 004.jpg 0514 acanthus 003.jpg 0514 acanthus 002.jpg

8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Terry - I'm with you. I saw this pattern on a pot several years ago.

9. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

FlyingButtonRanch likes this.
  10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It does have an acanthus leaf design but the pattern name was the question as well as the maker. I had a salt box but I do not think my record book goes back that far. The cobalt overspray is the key. I am trying to remember the years it really became popular, not by the public but by the manufactuers.
    greg

11. terry5732

A google image search of 'acanthus stoneware' brought up that ebay listing and this post pretty quick

Isn't it rather odd that that ebay page from 2013 is still viewable?

12. FlyingButtonRanch

FlyingButtonRanch Crazy for old clothes buttons!

Wow, 2013? Veeeery interesting. Maybe ebay is doing some new weird thing with Google to drive in traffic from searches?

Draft saved Draft deleted