Blue Willow HELP!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Brooke Anderson, Sep 11, 2020.

1. I love this place! I spend days trying to figure it out myself and then I have a mental breakdown and need to come here for clues! I really try first though!

I have this Blue Willow Platter. It's an odd shape, great shape but the only marks on the back are 'C" and I think the "#12." I inverted the image so you could try and read it. Who is the maker? hahahaha there were like 400 or so! I though maybe early Copleland? Once again... I can tell you all the clues to look for with Blue Willow front yet I cant identify my own!

Please nice people of Antiquers... can you help me?! and THANK YOU as always~

bluewillow_sm.jpg

bluewillow_sm_back.jpg

Miscstuff and yourturntoloveit like this.
  2. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Brooke
    Please select full image for us to see and if possible show the entire back as that is usually just as useful at determining age and manufacture.

3. Okay can do :)

4. Here is a photo of the backside :)

Attached Files:

5. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

What is the size of the platter. Could the 12 be refer to
    that? Also you might check CHURCHILL as the maker. I use Churchill BW as my everyday dishes, Mine have full marks, but it is just a thought.

Brooke Anderson and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Another thought......your platter looks pretty deep (welled)although it its Hard to tell for sure.....But could be a Meat or Chop Plate missing the drainer.
    That said ,with the lack of any other marking I don't think pinning down a maker is possible. the C and the 12 could refer to just about anything....design, style , pattern etc.....
    It's a pretty platter though, but I don't see a lot of age to it.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  7. I thought about meat or chop plate but it doesn’t seem deep enough. I didn’t think it was Churchill hmmm... okay and lovely you use that for your daily dishes! My sweet kids have already broken so many of my lovely plates! Hahaha even today I thought of making my own section they can’t use! ‍♀️ Thank you for your help!

The platter is 15 inches long and 12.5 wide :)

8. Hahahaha didn’t mean that symbol! I guess the emoji I tried to use translated differently! Hahaahah

9. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy:

This pattern was made by countless companies. Some were & are known. Sometimes there are subtle differences in the pattern sometimes you can not tell the difference between companies.

These pieces were made by a process called transfer printing & it is definitely not an exact science. Sometimes the pattern moved or it didn't line up at the end.

Here is an explanation of transfer printing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans... is a method,as transferware or transfer ware.

The bottom line is this is a nice platter in a very useable size in the Blue Willow pattern made by a probably unknown company. You may or may not even know who the company is or was & in the end, it is not probably going to change anything about the platter.

As the famous saying goes, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. ;):D :playful::playful:

Brooke Anderson and Bakersgma like this.
  10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Not meaning this to denigrate your piece but it looks like someone used the wrong piece of pattern that doesn't fit the shape properly leaving odd white space.

Blue willow is my everyday pattern and it has been made for over 200 years by companies all over the world (as you probably already know).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Brooke Anderson likes this.
  11. Thank you. :)

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted