Blue Willow Variation - Japanese Mark?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Feb 25, 2018.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello everyone - this little dish has me confused. I thought it was blue willow but the border doesn't look like most blue willow I've come across. It has an oriental mark on the back but no country of origin. I thought I read somewhere that some English and/or European manufacturers used fake oriental marks to imply their works were from Japan. I did check Gotheborg for the mark without success. The dish measures 5 1/2" across and 1 1/4" deep. Can anyone shed any light on where this might be from and the age? Thank you very much for any help you can provide.
    Don
    from Japan. IMG_20180224_154423587.jpg IMG_20180224_154440253.jpg IMG_20180224_154445693.jpg

pearlsnblume likes this.
  2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

E2A9D131-F2F1-4001-9330-E7E896CA2489.jpeg Your piece would be classed as a willow pattern because of the willow tree. There are variations, yours may be earlier as there are only two people crossing the bridge, I believe the later ones have three people crossing the bridge. Your picture is a bit difficult to make out but there are usually two birds flying and I can’t see them here.? I recently posted a willow pattern piece, I have been unable to ID the maker and dish type. See the 3 on bridge etc

Figtree3 and bercrystal like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's an English pseudo Oriental mark. Early 19th C transferware.

Hang on while I go fish out Godden.

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Got it. M Mason, I should have remembered. That's Miles Mason, circa 1800 to 1816. Absolutely typical of their willow ware. Saucer or underplate.

5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you so much, Ownedbybear! You are correct in that there are no birds although there is one indistinct image at the top of one tree just below the top island. I hadn't realized they were missing. And there are only two folks on the bridge but there is another in the doorway of the pagoda. And thanks for confirming the pseudo mark. At least I know I've got one more day before my memory completely abandons me!
    Don

bercrystal and judy like this.
  6. Nutcracker

Nutcracker Active Member

You may already know this but I only learned it on Saturday so thought I'd share - apparently a little dog is put in some which makes them quite rare. I don't know what sort of dog as I haven't seen one.

judy likes this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Did you read this somewhere?
    Or told to you?

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

If you find a photo, show us please....I wanna know what to look for !!:)

9. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

The Willow Pattern poem.
    My Mum used to recite this.

Two pigeons flying high
    Chinese vessel sailing by
    Weeping willow hanging o 'er
    Bridge with three men, if not four
    Chinese temples there they stand
    Seem to take up all the land
    Apple trees with apples on
    A pretty fence to end my song.

10. Nutcracker

Nutcracker Active Member

I was told it by a guy who works in the chinese antiques business. He seems to know what he's talking about. We were looking at some willow plates and he pointed out all the things that are always there and then said to always look for a dog as they're a rare find. And then we were interrupted so I didn't get to ask any more questions.

komokwa likes this.
  11. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Thank you.
    I have never heard mention of a dog. I find nothing related on a google search. Have a book on Blue Willow somewhere. Will have to take a look.
    I'm a little dubious about the dog.

12. Kc_nataud

Kc_nataud New Member

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  13. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hello, Karen. You have posted to a 6 year old thread that does not really relate to your question. To get the most and best eyes on your backstamp question you should start your own thread.

Chinoiserie, Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  14. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
    Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  15. LauraGarnet02

Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
    Figtree3, kentworld, Houseful and 3 others like this.
  16. Kc_nataud

Kc_nataud New Member

Thank you so much! I couldn't find basically anything. You knew where to look and I appreciate you doing that.

17. LauraGarnet02

I didn't know where to look. It was a long, roundabout search all over the internet that brought me back here in the end, lol!

18. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

And here's me still looking for the dog six years later...

lvetterli and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  19. LauraGarnet02

20. Kc_nataud

Kc_nataud New Member

Either way... you did better than I did. Now I'm trying to find a match and value of what I have. My next search will be for a Roden silver vanity set. Lol

Draft saved Draft deleted