Featured Boars tusk? necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, May 22, 2020 at 7:41 AM.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Lucky eBay spot. I'm hoping this is Boars tusk?. I can't see any cross hatching that would indicate Ivory but WDIK!.
    Clasp is stamped 9ct (so English clasp?) and the tusks are stamped 18k ( so foreign?) I don't know about the chain yet.
    Please tell me about it :). when was this popular?. It's quite small and wouldn't quite go round my neck (don't judge ;)) so child's/petite person or from an age when people had smaller necks!.
    Thankyou
    FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_6102.JPG IMG_6103.JPG IMG_6104.JPG IMG_6105.JPG IMG_6107.JPG

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

If you hadn't said gold, and the length, I'd have initially said 1980s: these got wildly reproduced then. The length suggests at least 1920s, and I think it may be earlier than that. I'm thinking the tusk part at least came from India and the chains wree added here.

3. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Somewhere I have a similar neck piece, except it has silver findings instead of gold, and two little chain links joining the two tusks, with a silver mounted turquoise pendant hanging from the bottom chain.

If it's any help, I purchased it in American Samoa, in 1971. And yes, I was told at the time that it was made from boar's tusk.

All I know is that they were widely found in the South Pacific in the early 1970s. I know they were sold in Tahiti, Samoa, and Fiji. Where, specifically, they were made, however, I can't positively state. But I've seen a few over the years since, showing up at antiques shows and shops. Usually plain, like yours, without the turquoise pendant.

stracci, judy, KikoBlueEyes and 4 others like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Necklaces like yours were popular in the 1970s gotta- go-disco era.

Debora

5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Is yours a bit like this @Taupou? FullSizeRender.jpg

kyratango, KikoBlueEyes and Aquitaine like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I used to have a Pacific boar tusk necklace too, bought new in the 70s.

K, I would guess yours is from the Pacific as well, with the 18k stamp, the British clasp has to be a replacement. It happens.;)
    Boars are not the prettiest animals, but their tusks can be made into elegant chokers.

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

That is very pretty, KSW!

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou :)
    Thankyou :)
    Another one of my random acquisitions!.
    Ergonomically designed to sit round ones neck!

antidiem, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Those boars are so accommodating, aren't they?:playful:

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Better still, though ugly they are tasty!

antidiem and KSW like this.
  12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

:hilarious:

Draft saved Draft deleted