Featured Bohemian (?) Art Nouveau Glass Vase with Gold Floral Decoration

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Jun 16, 2019.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Board Friends - This was another piece I picked up at auction yesterday. I'm assuming circa 1900 Bohemian. What really interested me was the inclusions in the glass. Is there a name for this technique? The vase stands 3 1/2" tall, 3 3/4" across the opening, and 4 3/8" across the base. Does anyone recognize the manufacturer? Any information would be much appreciated. I'm adding this to my little art glass collection. Thank you!
    Don

IMG_20190616_153548652.jpg IMG_20190616_153557871.jpg IMG_20190616_153610497.jpg IMG_20190616_153618492.jpg IMG_20190616_153634672.jpg

cxgirl, Any Jewelry, popsycat and 6 others like this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I don't know the answer, but I like that type of glass a lot!

3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I'll ditto you Fig!!

4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Lovely piece but not Art Nouveau. The flowers are realistically depicted, Art Nouveau would have been more stylized with organic, undulating shapes.

judy and dgbjwc like this.
  5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very pretty.

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Looks nouveau to me. There was more to nouveau than Mucha. Can't help with the inclusions. Maybe there isn't a specific name.

BoudiccaJones, fenton, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  7. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Very lovely!

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Love it.
    I'm with mos, there are many different types of Art Nouveau, especially on the European Continent. Just compare the stark straight lines of German Jugendstil and some Vienna Secession designs to the ever flowing designs of Belgian Art Nouveau and the Indonesian inspired Dutch Art Nouveau.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    cxgirl, UncleChuckTX, dgbjwc and 2 others like this.
  9. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Just saw a candy jar on antiques roadshow that looked the same style as yours. They said it was by Mt Washington and was called ALBERTINE or more commonly now known as Crown Milano.
    Although it was decorated with flowers , it looked like the same technique as yours. Also had a metal overlay with the flowers in the glass much like your flecks.
    Hope that helps

The minute I saw it I thought of your piece. The show was an update of things seen on the show in 2004. I have it on DVR if you need more info I can go back and watch it again.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Figtree3, Any Jewelry, judy and 4 others like this.
  10. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I saw the AR piece as well. So I just went through "Mt. Washington Art Glass Plus Webb Burmese" by Sisk. Quite a number of Crown Milano pieces are shown. Crown Milano is opal glass that often has flowers in the glass and is then embellished with gold or other decoration. I don't see this shape in the book.

Figtree3, Any Jewelry, judy and 2 others like this.
  11. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

I think Mt Washington or Webb would be marked. But I do think OP’s piece is trying to be Crown Milano. I think the “flecks” May represent the leaves that are on the metalwork part.BWDIK. The maker will be hard to pin down.

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  12. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

I think the maker was inspired by Mt Washington as I saw the episode as well. You could spend awhile trying to search for the maker but I doubt you will find exactly who made it It's definitely a eye catcher!

Figtree3, judy and aaroncab like this.
  13. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you all very much. I have looked through Mt. Washington but somehow their glass has a bit more formality than my piece. The background in the Crown Milano pieces I found on-line seems more controlled.

I appreciate the leads though. I think rink28 is right - best to let it set for a bit. It's not going anywhere so if I trip over more information at some point I'll be sure and share it here. You all are the best!
    Don

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I saw the show, and think I saw the piece you are talking about. But I must have dozed off because I don't remember the details. Just tried to look on the website but it happens to be unavailable right now!

Draft saved Draft deleted