Featured Bohemian glass vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Chinoiserie, Aug 23, 2023.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Picked up this today. I'm not doing bad for avoiding damaged goods. It does look quite classy though. PS

Its 38cm tall.

IMG20230823190451_copy_889x1185.jpg IMG20230823190459_copy_1101x1469.jpg IMG20230823190519_copy_1147x1529.jpg IMG20230823190511_copy_1111x1481.jpg IMG20230823190505_copy_1075x1433.jpg

Last edited: Aug 23, 2023
    TallCakes, judy, stracci and 3 others like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

That's a strange bottom for a vase. Do you know why there is a metal plate?

judy and Chinoiserie like this.
  3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I was wondering if it was a lamp base...

judy, Chinoiserie and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

I'm thinking along those lines too. But I can't visualize how it would look.

judy and Chinoiserie like this.
  5. Chinoiserie

I haven't a clue to be honest. I just thought it was how they rolled in Bohemia :D

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  6. Chinoiserie

There is like a metal 'cup' that sits on top of the glass base. The metal plate seems to be attached to this. The top piece of glass then is inserted into the cup.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think this might be an old repair.

8. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking as well. If it is a repair, it's very clever.

johnnycb09 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

I'm don't see the logic of putting metal in a place where water stands. Not that I disagree with a repair but metal? It would rot through and leave a stain when it did.
    What purpose should an inverted cup have in such a repair. Surely if someone would plug the bottom of a vase they wouldn't need to use a cup as well as a plate. They could just add a plate.
    But you all have more experience than I do so maybe this is a common methodology. The damage to the side also is troubling. It's like something was attached there.

ola402 likes this.
  10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

It looks like the vase shattered between the base and the horn, becoming two parts. The repair person likely couldn't reassemble all of the shards at the location of the break so he/she placed what was left of it in a metal piece that held it all together and then attached it to the base with a rod. Just my casual observations.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  11. Chinoiserie

Here's one without a metal fitting. Suggests the metal isn't standard

Screenshot_2023-08-24-16-24-14-72_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12_copy_3230x3903.jpg

KikoBlueEyes and johnnycb09 like this.
  12. Chinoiserie

Metal staples in porcelain don't seem logical but they used them regardless

KikoBlueEyes and johnnycb09 like this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

I can see that. Maybe there were two at one time and they wanted to save the broken one to maintain the pair.

14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I’ve got and have had vases with metal repairs. These were often decorative and not used to hold water.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  15. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted