Featured Bone necklace?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Simona Buhus, Nov 9, 2022.

1. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,
    I bough a necklace in a job lot of wood, was advertised as wood.
    When was delivered, it felt different , so “I took my UV light and went to the cupboard lol “ some may say…
    It glows as Ivory or bone would. I wonder what it is and where from?
    How old? is this something that is protected and can’t be sold or purchased?
    I liked the monkeys message, don’t speak or hear or see evil. I have no idea what the figurines are, but they are nicely carved in heavy wood.
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona @Any Jewelry
    @evelyb30 @Debora @kyratango @Bronwen @Ownedbybear @Aquitaine

B97CBD2E-2109-42D8-B796-D38ECD735C72.jpeg 525F04E7-A84C-4A2B-87E0-251DC22E6AC1.jpeg 9C06BCC5-D4F3-4D25-9AB5-C514C0830481.jpeg 9ACD657B-3C68-4A23-B2F8-3DF092296735.jpeg 6E833B16-D31A-4EDB-8A90-07700161B221.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
    Woutinc, Figtree3, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the necklace tubes are bone......I can't speak to the beads...

" I have no idea what the figurines are, but they are nicely carved in heavy wood."

you may wish to rethink that.....they both look like resin carvings..

imo

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Lots of little things carved in boxwood pouring out of China these days. The necklace components look like bone. Can you see whether the large bead caps are covering quite large holes, larger than you would drill in a chunk of solid ivory, on the more spherical looking beads?

KSW and komokwa like this.
  5. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Nice necklace of, I believe, Asian carved cow bone beads and agree with Komokwa that the other pieces are resin.

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Simona, Boxwood is quite light in weight; solid resin is fairly heavy. You can get some idea of what you have simply from how they weigh in you hand.

KSW likes this.
  7. reader

reader Well-Known Member

8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

If they came from auction and were listed as wood but are resin you can probably return them if you wished.

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Simona Buhus

Thank you, It looks like The lot should have been called “ Anything else but wood” lol…
    I had a second look at the Buddha and the monkeys and they are resin, they are very heavy.
    There are some letters on Buddha, will take a closer photo and publish.
    I guess I liked the carvings, hence the purchase. I have no idea of the lot value, but is it a good thing or bad that they are resin?
    Would it make any difference if they were vintage? Are they lol?
    With regards to the necklace, I agree it must be some sort of bone, the round bits are glued to the metal, but the longer bits are hollow inside, looks like a horn to me.
    Any thoughts, please let me know.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

Figtree3, KSW, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The bone necklace is nice, and Indian made. Those metal end tubes are an indication of Indian necklaces, as is the carving.
    Definitely bone, an animal body has many different types of bones, just like a human body. (No these aren't human bones.:playful:)

The Etsy seller doesn't know what a Chinese endless knot looks like.:arghh::banghead:

I'm with the others, the "carved wood" decorative items are very much resin.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    komokwa, Bronwen and reader like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Good quality resin items that have an ivory look are fetching higher prices now.
    But there are so many of these 'antiqued' monkeys and Hoteis that I think they are a dime a dozen.
    I could be wrong.
    I doubt they are vintage, they are still being made. Maybe 10 yrs old, maybe made yesterday.

As KSW said, the lot was misrepresented and you should be able to send it back without a problem. You have every right to, by law.

Simona, if you like three monkey and Hotei carvings, there are many real carvings out there.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
  12. Simona Buhus

Thank you so much.
    I have contacted them and asked about their return policy. Let’s see…
    The truth is I don’t mind if I loose a little and learn allot…with the knowledge gained on this platform, I fell already a bit richer :)
    I don’t mind keeping them either, I like the message the monkey set out, and the necklace. Hopefully, when I venture next time, I will be able to compare and make better choices. This is all new to me and very interesting. Am enjoying it, thank you everyone for sharing.
    Xx
    Kind regards,
    Simona

13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thank you for sharing, Simona. I learned something, too.

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted