Book Horror: show off your books with horrible damage

Discussion in 'Books' started by Ex Libris, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Ex Libris

Ex Libris Well-Known Member

Please post your book with the most horrible damage here. Age and subject of the book does not matter! Personally I have a question about it for you if you post a book: Why do keep this book and do not throw it away (or burn it :D)???

PDF with information form the British Library about book damage: Click here

I will start this thread. As I am a book collector and I am Dutch (so cheap) I like to buy books cheap, sometimes even with damage. Years ago i bought this book at an antique book shop for only $30.

The book is volume 3 of the works of John Chrysostom, printed in Paris in 1536 by Claude Chevallon.

The book has quite some mould and moisture damage, but that is quite common in these old books. The problem with this book are insects that like paper a lot. I expect that this damage was caused by a relatively large insect like the house longhorn beetle (boktor in Dutch)

I keep this book because of it's age and the front page is still nice. It is also a good example what insects van do to a book...

The front page seems to be ok, there is a small whole on the bottom though...

DSCF1073.JPG

The first part of the book seems ok, but the hole seems to persist:

DSCF1080.JPG

Later in the book the hole becomes larger:

DSCF1083.JPG

And larger:

DSCF1082.JPG
    Last printed page:

DSCF1084.JPG

Who has more examples?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    pearlsnblume, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I made a set of skiving razor knives for an antique book restorer back in the 1980's - unfortunately (for this thread!) all my books have been restored!

pearlsnblume, Ex Libris and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted