Featured Book (pages) mystery :)

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Hunter S., Dec 16, 2020.

1. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

So I own this lot for some time now and I wanted to share it with all of you (as I find the pages to be beautiful [11 pages in total] and the scenes are quite interesting as well)...and also to find out more about the book (I am guessing it was a book) to which the pages belonged to and also to find out what every scene represent (I recognized half of them I guess...but I would love to hear your opinions)...and I would also like to hear some opinions on the value...
    Thank you good people :):woot:

What is obvious is that the artist is Peter Johann Nepomuk Geiger (1805 - 1880 Vienna), his signature is on every single one of them (sometimes a bit hidden).

Hope you like them & enjoy them :shame::shame::shame:

PJNG1-1.jpg PJNG1-2.jpg PJNG2.jpg PJNG3-1.jpg PJNG3-2.jpg PJNG4.jpg PJNG5.jpg PJNG6.jpg PJNG7.jpg PJNG8.jpg

2. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Possibly from:
    Memorabilien aus der Europäischen Geschichte für anziehende Weltbegebenheiten, ausgezeichnete Grossthaten, Würdigung der Verdienste von berühmten Männern etc. Aus mehreren Jahrhunderten gesammelt. Mit insgesamt 96 getönten Federlithographien von Johann Nepomuk Geiger auf Tafeln

2 vols. New York, 1860

which is approximately: Memorable Scenes from European History

images described as toned-pen lithographs
    (that's the translation)

The last scene is "King Louis XVI of France with his wife Marie Antoinette and their son, the Dauphin, at the Field of Mars taking the Oath of Loyalty, France, July 14th 1790" (didn't do him much good)

The second to last is: "The Storming of the Castle of Verona by the German Army, 1155"

The first one in the 2nd post is: Henry of Ofterdingen; Legendary singer of the German Middle Ages.
    “The singer Ofterdingen kneels at the feet of the landgrate, who covers him with her cloak, to protect him from his adversaries, 1207.”

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    Hunter S., Fid, patd8643 and 3 others like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Some of them look like the Crusades. Some of them don't look very European.

Hunter S. likes this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Wow,those are wild !

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The first has something to do with the Hapsburgs: "Erbauung des Stammhauses Habsburg(Habichtsburg) bei Brugg im Aargau,1005" (Construction of the Habsburg headquarters (Habichtsburg) near Brugg in Aargau, 1005)

All I can find on the second is something to do with a drawbridge, but from the cockades it might be the storming of the Bastille.

The third is "The death of Atilla, King of the Huns"

Not finding anything on the fourth or fifth.

The sixth is "Constantine the Great Embraces Christianity"

The seventh is "Alaric Takes Rome By Storm"

The eighth is "The King of the Romans, Henry IV, crossing the pass of Mount Cenis in the Alps to reach the Countess Mathilde of Tuscany in Canossa with Pope Gregory VII, to do penitence, January 1077” (paraphrasing)

Several of these images (maybe all - I don't know) occur in "Historische Memorabilien des In-und Auslandes", Anton Ziegler, 1840, also illustrated by Geiger.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  7. LIVIT

LIVIT New Member

Regardless of monies value, they're very nice and unusual. Tks for sharing.

Hunter S. likes this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The "Historische Memorabilien des In-und Auslandes", Anton Ziegler, 1840, is in 2 volumes and included 96 illustrations, as with the 1860 book. An illustration from the earlier book has the same type of frame, and the same numeric notation centered under the image (which I'm guessing identifies volume and page).

An illustration I found from the 1860 book has the same frame but lacks the notation.

Hunter S. likes this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The fourth image is "St. Boniface of Mainz (680-754) having the oak of Thor cut down to convince the druids that it is not a sacred tree."

The fifth image is "The death of Ernest II, Duke of Swabia in Constance, Germany, 1030".

Hunter S. and Firemandk like this.
  10. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

Thank you guys :joyful::joyful::joyful: especially MOS :shame::):woot::):shame:

LIVIT likes this.
  11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Have to wonder about that Thor/druids thing. Not sure that the one had anything to do with the other. But that's what I found online.

Draft saved Draft deleted