Featured Books on antique and vintage jewelry to recommend

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Kimbert, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Kimbert

Kimbert Well-Known Member

@Bronwen nice detailed review! Maybe wont be prioritizing reading that one in that case!
    I speak french though I'm not used to doing any heavy reading in French! I'd probably start with the silver one anyways! thanks for the additional rec!

kyratango, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The 'ca. 1750' 'wax' cameo is also their single example in the one page section on 18th century cameos. Most English language literature on cameos seems to be self-published or only a little more professionally done, with some help from the publisher. Former are always all over the place, poorly organized, poorly written, in desperate need of an editor. The latter may have the benefit of a proofreader & an editor, but not an editor who is at all knowledgeable in the field, someone who can fix grammar but not factual errors. Fact checking, what's that? The Clements book has 12 entries in its bibliography, one of them the Miller book.

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@Any Jewelry , I finally read _Silver Treasures From the Land of Sheba_. Wonderful book! I knew almost nothing about Yemen at all. I liked the travel aspects of the book along with the information about and wonderful photos of the jewelry made there!

4. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I have learned the most from this one. I do like Costume Jewelry 101, too, great for beginners.

IvaPan, Any Jewelry, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  5. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Wow, I want this one!!! I have an entire bottom shelf devoted to mostly jewelry resource books. I will have to take a picture sometime.

Figtree3, Kimbert and Bronwen like this.
  6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

art nouveau buckles, ARNOLDSCHE art Publishers
    Jugendstilschmuck; Wolfgang Glüber
    Alltagstauglich, die Sammlung Ratz-Coradazzi; Glüber, Kristine Siebert

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

addendum for Europeans; don't know if it would be of any interest for the US.
    there's a shop "books on collectables" in Belgium that is also on eboo. he packs very well, postage by kilograms; I already ordered 6 books for the wintertime. very fast delivery.

Hamburger and Bronwen like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lately I have been immersed in 'Art Nouveau Jewelry' by Vivienne Becker, Thames & Hudson. A hefty book, but a very good read, including background info, and the link with other relevant art forms. Perfect photography too.
    Unlike many US writers, she pays a lot of attention to Continental Europe (and not just Bohemia) and British Arts and Crafts, so it is worthwhile for us across the pond as well.:)

Edit: British writer, not US.:)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  9. Figtree3

Oh, I'll have to get that one. I like her other books that I've read.

I thought she was British, though. Her website apparently doesn't say where she was born but she does a lot of work in the UK: http://www.viviennebecker.com/

Also, her site uses the spelling "jewellery" which is not the way we spell it here. I believe her books have been published on both sides of the pond, so spelling may vary.

IvaPan, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

She's an out and out Londoner. I saw a bit about her when they had the Cheapside Hoard exhibition.

11. Figtree3

Thanks, OBB!

Bronwen and Ownedbybear like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Thanks, that explains a lot. Pity Thames & Hudson felt the title had to be Art Nouveau Jewelry, instead of Jewellery, confusing.
    I have another book by her somewhere, but can't find it now.

Bronwen, Ownedbybear and Figtree3 like this.
  13. Figtree3

Yes, that is confusing. I see that some of her books have that spelling, and some the other. I have two of her books, one with each spelling. :)

Bronwen, Ownedbybear and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Pulishers, eh!

Bronwen, Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

It has been some time since Kimbert started this thread, but since it is useful to newbies as well as long time members, I thought I'd bump it.:)

For anyone who wants to know more about European ethnic/regional jewellery, I can recommend this book:

[​IMG]
    https://www.vam.ac.uk/shop/traditional-jewellery-in-nineteenth-century-europe-119398.html

It is a great introduction to the topic. The jewellery in the book is from the collection of the V&A, and it covers many regions of Europe, north to south, east to west.

Those gorgeous buttons on the cover are from the North Frisian Wadden Sea island of Föhr, Germany.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    Figtree3, bercrystal and Bronwen like this.
  16. Figtree3

Another member who has not been here in a long time.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

True. You never know why though. She wasn't here long, maybe she just moved on to something else.

Figtree3 likes this.
  18. Figtree3

I think that is what has happened with most of the people we've asked about. It is part of life!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Fritz Falk has written some very good books on jewellery. A lot of yummy stuff from the Pforzheim jewellery museum.

Did anyone post this one before? Perfect for beginners:
    John Benjamin: "Starting to Collect Antique Jewellery"

Bronwen likes this.
  20. MaJa

MaJa Active Member

Excellent books on German and Austrian Jewelry are:
    • Schmuck in Deutschland und Österreich 1895 - 1914, Ulrike von Hase, Prestel, 2nd edition, 1985
    • Schmuck der 20er und 30er Jahre in Deutschland, Christianne Weber, Arnoldsche, 1990
    They are only available second hand and are quite pricy

Bronwen, Any Jewelry and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted