Featured Box by Pavel Ovchinnikov (maybe)

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Lennyt, Feb 25, 2022.

1. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

So this box made to my doorsteps today from local flea. Looked pretty weird that made me buy it. After closer look it might be made by Pavel Ovchinnikov in Russia most likely.
    Could anyone confirm this and date it as well.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Forgot weight it is about 566 gram

20220225_231045.jpg

20220225_231054.jpg

20220225_231105.jpg

20220225_231114.jpg

20220225_231257.jpg

20220225_231225.jpg

bercrystal, elarnia, Boland and 4 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's lovely....

maybe this isn't the best time for Russian items......

Firemandk, MrNate, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  3. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

What items made before revolution have to do with what is going on now?

hamptonauction, Ce BCA, judy and 2 others like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Figtree3, judy and Hi2022 like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

Figtree3, judy and Hi2022 like this.
  6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

they could still be stolen NOW by Russian bandits and marauders !
    do you think that ALL people are stupid ? everytime the conflict is boiling over - since the illegal annexation of Crimea - people from BOTH sides try to get information about items and test the saleability of their stuff here.

komokwa likes this.
  7. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

Let's see conflict started 3 days ago. Considering there are no flights right now between Russia and US I highly doubt that this one made it to flea market that quick. Besides I know the guy who sold it to me and he is estate buyer to begin with.

kyratango, KikoBlueEyes and Hi2022 like this.
  8. komokwa

it's not the item, to me.
    the item, is just that...an item.

but at this time, where it comes from, shows a lack of sensitivity on bringing it to our attention.

there may be Ukrainian members here , or even those sympathetic with Ukraine that may be put off viewing the beauty of a Russian made item...with the ugliness of the Russian elite on full display.

Fid likes this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

no.

komokwa likes this.
  10. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

Ok that is just stupid. Antiques have nothing to do with politics. Why would the box made a century ago upset someone from Ukraine. People such a snowflakes these days. Anyway my mother is from Ukraine and father from Russia and this box doesn't upset me a bit.

11. komokwa

being sensitive to the feelings of others .....during a time of great stress and anguish .....

oh, sorry....I didn't know your folks were involved....:oops:

Firemandk and Hi2022 like this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

I agree that the "Silver Forum" is no place to conduct a discussion on World events. I for one am thrilled that you may have found this fantastic piece and have shared it here. You are fortunate that you had the background to appreciate what you found.
    Anything that is an antique has passed through a time of countless wars, death and destruction and could carry with it some baggage from that time. I am very interested in what you find out about it. In doing research about this artist, I was astonished about the value placed on his work.

13. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

Thanks.
    I think both got lucky me and the box considering box was about to get scrapped.
    I got it from the scrap bin of the guy who buys estates and he was about to dump it to refinery.

Firemandk, J Dagger, Boland and 2 others like this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

That would have been a horrible waste. It’s so beautiful. I keep looking at it with envy.

15. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Ovchinnikov, like Fabergé, was/is very commonly faked - your item is missing the necessary assayer's mark, the too small Moscow mark, with its awkward depiction of 'St. George', is not placed right next to the quality mark as it should be according to its supposed age, and the oval combined mark on the secondary part of the item, also awkward, should not be stamped without the maker's mark also present.

Please note how the marks compare, as well as some info on Russian marks:

RussianOvchinikov-fake-genuine-composite.jpg

RussianOvchinikov-fake-oval-composite.jpg

https://www.925-1000.com/Frussia.html

russian-marks-overview.JPG

https://www.925-1000.com/Frussia_city_01.html

russian-marks-moscow.JPG

16. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

So you are saying it is fake and you are 100% sure of that or should I get another opinion? The workmanship and design kind of makes me doubt this. Too much work to recreate this.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  17. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

By all means, you should definitely get a more reliable opinion than mine, Russian silver is filled with fakes and forgeries, some more obvious than others, so an expert opinion should be sought. You might present it in the 'Russian Silver' forum on 925-1000 (suggest reading the guidelines if you join): https://www.925-1000.com/forum/index.php?sid=8b75a93242e202c723834e95423387d5

18. Iouri

Iouri Well-Known Member

People who create beautiful, beautiful things - they create them for centuries and our task is to preserve this beauty and teach people to see and love everything beautiful.

19. Iouri

Iouri Well-Known Member

I liked your opinion, I completely agree. If fakes are made, then these are really valuable products.

20. KikoBlueEyes

Excellent information. You are sooooooooooo good at this. Thank you. I was fooled.

Firemandk and bobsyouruncle like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted