Featured Boy & Girl Paper Doll Cutouts with Real Hair

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Alan G, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Alan G

Alan G Member

I’m not quite sure exactly where I should post this but I’m going to start here....

I have had this framed piece for some years now and have assumed it belonged to my mother. I ran across it in her attic and no one has ever lived in the house but her, other than the family of course years ago. It appears to be a printed background with a couple of cutout paper dolls affixed to the background. The clothes being worn by the paper dolls are of real cloth materials. Also, they both have hair that appears to actually be real hair.

I would have probably thought it was simply a crafty home project were it not for the backing of the framed picture. Very old of course, you can still see where it had been originally been sealed with a backing paper which has all but deteriorated by now. Also the metal tabs used to hold the picture in the frame seem to be of a quality installation.

The frame itself also I would have to say is original. But I am completely in the dark with regard to the framed picture and content. Logically I think one would presume it probably came from a “five & dime” store in the early 20th century but again, simply a guess.

If anyone can shed any light on this piece it would be appreciated. It needs to be taken apart and really cleaned up but of course I’m afraid to touch it for fear of affecting its value, assuming it even has any! :(

Boy & Girl Paper Doll Cutouts with Hair.JPG Boy & Girl Paper Doll - Back.JPG

2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

KingofThings, Alan G and Ladybranch like this.
  3. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I agree "ribbon art paper dolls." Here's one with the identical boy and girl done in the 1920s. Yours could have been done in the 1920s or early 1930s. The curls on yours bring up images of Shirley Temple. Her hair style was all the rage for little girls in the early 1930s.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Pap...graph-1920s-/182024027311?hash=item2a617a3caf

and this one:
    https://www.rubylane.com/item/799758-0002711/1920x27s-Paper-Dolls-Frame-Ribbon-Art

According to the following article the popularity of ribbon picture dolls flourished in the 1920s and 1930s.
    http://www.gaslampantiques.com/magazine/features.php?article=346

--- Susan

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
    KingofThings and Alan G like this.
  4. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

GACK!! Did you notice how much they wanted for the eBay one??
    I wonder what planet they live on!

KingofThings, Alan G and Ladybranch like this.
  5. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Alan G, that is soooooo sweet.

6. Alan G

Alan G Member

:joyful: I should stick this picture under my arm and head for it... wherever it is.

KingofThings and Messilane like this.
  7. Alan G

Alan G Member

Thank you Judy and Susan....

Those links were great help in establishing some measure of provenance. The article was especially interesting. The fact that there were commercial kits of that ribbon art makes me wonder if it was actually something my mother may have put together. She would have been eleven years old in 1930. I do know she was in to dolls when she was a young girl and won some sort of competition regarding dolls.

Again, a sincere thanks.... Alan

8. judy

judy Well-Known Member

You're welcome....I do hope you will keep it and display it......However, perhaps you are a single male, and it just didn't "fit" with your decor....Do you have a sister?????:facepalm:

9. Alan G

Alan G Member

Yes, I have two sisters actually, but they haven't expressed an interest in the picture, at least to me. I'm sure they will come around once a family provenance has been established. I have had it for years and have always thought it might be something our mother had when she was a little girl. All I can say for sure is that it is not going anywhere on my watch! :)

10. Alan G

Alan G Member

I am seriously considering taking it apart and cleaning it up somewhat, not using anything wet or damp on it of course. Does anyone see any issues with doing that?

KingofThings likes this.
  11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Alan! I really don't see anything that needs cleaning, unless it's the background paper that the figures are upon. It's looks pretty good to me, but you have it in hand. I wonder if an art restoration firm would be the way to go.....at least prhaps to advise you on the how to. At what cost tho, I really don't know. I'm sure others more knowledgeable will offer advice.

12. Alan G

Alan G Member

It is just the background that looks like it needs a bit of a light dusting. But I share your caution even though one could assume no big deal. Thanks for your thoughts...

KingofThings likes this.
  13. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

I'd leave it just the way it is. Sometimes what seems like the least harmful action winds up destroying the subject's collectable value.

Draft saved Draft deleted