Bracelet made in Mexico...value??

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ashley Felton, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Ashley Felton

Ashley Felton Well-Known Member

Would I be able to sell it?? For how much??

09C2EDB5-1F15-4DBC-93D8-1490EBE3936D.jpeg A22EE8F4-7D3B-4ADC-A9E1-C4D9E90120EE.jpeg ACC9AE1D-0216-43D9-A4F7-8D62E244579B.jpeg

kyratango likes this.
  2. Xristina

Xristina Well-Known Member

I don't want to rain on your parade, but first of all, you will need test it to be sure is sterling.. I've seen Mexican bracelets marked as silver or 925 and they were, in fact, alpaca or something similar.
    If it's sterling, from what I've seen on google, the prices varies from $60 to $300, depending on style, weight, type of green stone, the site you're going to sell it on, etc.
    I don't know if I'm allowed to post my search results on google.. I've used "green stone sterling mexico bracelet".. good luck !:)

cxgirl, judy and i need help like this.
  3. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I agree, test first ... Joy.

cxgirl, judy and i need help like this.
  4. Ashley Felton

Just asking because I don’t want to buy it at $95 if no profit because it is def not something I would wear lol. Thanks! I’ll pass on it

judy, i need help and Kimbert like this.
  5. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Use some of that $95 dollars for Xmas prezzies for your wee boy .. it will fill his heart, and yours with joy ... Joy.

cxgirl, judy, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  6. Kimbert

Kimbert Well-Known Member

Based on my own searching and shoppingI think you could sell it at maybe $60- $100, so probably not for profit if you're buying it at $95. i don't know if it means anything about quality but that hallmark is a little less neat and tidy looking than I've seen on other Mexican sterling pieces, looks a little suspicious to me
    IMO I wouldn't buy it for resale, just if it's a bracelet that you want to own for yourself =)

7. Ashley Felton

Oh he is done!!! He got wayyyy too much!!! And we are going back to NJ/NYC this week so he can be spoiled by his grandmother and aunt!

Christmasjoy and Kimbert like this.
  8. Ashley Felton

Thanks ! I was thinking the same thing! If someone went thru all that trouble to make something why would it be so sloppy? It belonged to a friends great grandmother who is passed so I can’t even ask anything about it...I’ll pass

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Kimbert

totally, something doesn't look right about it, with the "o" of mexico chopped off like that and the rough uneven lettering- I'd say good call on passing this particular one unless it was selling for much less =)

judy, Ashley Felton and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. Ashley Felton

:angelic:

Kimbert likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Both the design and the mark date from the first half of the 20th century.
    The design is Spratling inspired, but the bracelet is not Spratling made. There is also a bit of Art Deco influence.
    There are collectors for early Mexican jewellery. I like those early designs as well, but I always stay on the lower end of the scale with my spending.

Sloppy marking is seen on many Mexican pieces, even from some of the better known names. There simply wasn't enough room for the entire punch.;)

It is always good to test silver, but there is nothing sus about the mark. In fact it is a mark that would catch my attention, simply because of the age and the fact that most people look for the later eagle marks. That is ok, let them, I will take the old collectible 'junk' for a nice price.:D

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  12. Any Jewelry

Christmasjoy, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  13. Kimbert

guess my speculation about the mark was wrong- good to know, especially since I love mexican pieces and plan to collect more!!

Christmasjoy, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

You'll be another 'old junk' buyer, then.:hilarious:
    It is beautiful, and I have bought some top names for low prices because sellers didn't research the marks. Do your research and you'll learn to recognize some of the designer styles. Some pieces don't have designer marks but are good quality by silversmiths who were trained by well known people.

15. Kimbert

Love that ol' junk! personally I usually buy it if I love the style regardless of mark since it's just for myself anyways- none of my own pieces are signed by a maker, just hallmarked, but knowledge is power!!!! And knowledge of a great deal always feels great :D

16. Kimbert

came across this while browsing by chance! it's super similar though I guess the extraordinarily high price has to do with the jade cabochons in this one? I have no idea what the one you posted about is worth in comparison (different stone type/quality level/ would have to test silver etc) just interesting to see what someone else is selling this one for.
    https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/450...ality-deep-green?ref=search_recently_viewed-8

Any Jewelry, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

marked differently too.

Christmasjoy, i need help and Kimbert like this.
  18. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

@Kimbert

With the banding on at least one stone and the chip on another .... looks more like dyed travertine. in link in post #16

Any Jewelry, Christmasjoy and Kimbert like this.
  19. Kimbert

good eye! pretty wildly overpriced then? the price seems pretty outlandish to me, but what do I know! I'd never heard of travertine, but it doesn't look like jade to me either (was just going off the listing description)

20. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Not selling for - wishing for

Any Jewelry, Christmasjoy and Kimbert like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted