Brass and Copper Jugs with Porcelain Handles...Use?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Sassy, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Sassy

Sassy Well-Known Member

C6 ssmaller.JPG c7 msrnmnts.JPG C5 1.JPG C7 2.JPG Found these two brass and copper jugs with lions heads and ceramic handles.

What were they used for? My guess is for removing ashes from the fireplace but that is just a guess.

There is also this weird thin tall piece, we think it is probably just a decoration? Seems to be sand on the bottom of it, weighing it down.

2. Sassy

Sassy Well-Known Member

Also found this cute little teapot I wanted to share! Any guess at value? I'm planning on giving most of these to my mom as she loves copper.

C4 8.JPG

3. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I believe they are coal scuttles, and the other "weird thin tall" one is a lighter/lamp.

4. Sassy

Sassy Well-Known Member

Interesting, thank you!

Now I'm off down the google rabbit hole about the copper lamp to find out how it works!

5. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

They're really all just fairly modern decorative crap meant to contain plastic plants

moreotherstuff, Bakersgma and Sassy like this.
  6. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I'm going with Terry on this - but they are made to look like coal scuttles :)

Sassy likes this.
  7. Sassy

Sassy Well-Known Member

This one too? It's an escargot/egg poaching pan, is it an older piece or newer?
    c8 1.JPG C8 3.JPG

Curious, how can you tell when copper is actually antique?

Thanks guys!

8. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

these are about the most common things you can find at dutch thrift stores. Coal scuttles fell out of use after the introduction of natural gas here in the 60s, every household had them, so there's still an abundance of them around.
    The other is quite common too, called a snotneus, snotty nose, an oil lamp, this type was in use in the 19th and 20th century.
    The last one looks like an old "poffertjes" pan, to make dutch mini pancakes with.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Sassy

Sassy Well-Known Member

Thanks opoe, very interesting. I am intrigued, I wish I understood more about how it works.

Is there any way for me to tell if the scuttles and the snotneus are actually old or are cheap reproductions?

Here are a few more photos, one of the Snotneus and one of the bottom of the scuttle. C5 4.JPG c7 10.JPG

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Those with ceramic handles are souvenirs from the Netherlands.

Debora

judy, Any Jewelry and Sassy like this.
  11. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

Where did you get these nostalgic dutch items, Sassy?

Quite possibly they are sold in souvenir stores as well, but I never visit those, so I would not know...;)

12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

All modern. Sold in import decor stores in the US as well.

Bakersgma and judy like this.
  13. Sassy

Sassy Well-Known Member

Got them at a yard sale for $1 each!

judy likes this.
  14. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

During the 1980s, I worked in the housewares dept. of a large dept. store. Copper was a very popular item, we had bulk stacks of different pieces. They sold like hotcakes.

judy and SBSVC like this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

If they were old....they'd have been used..

Bakersgma, judy and SBSVC like this.
  16. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Cluttered, I got married in 1978, and I received several copper wedding gifts. It must have been the start of that 1980's craze...

I most remember a tea kettle with the blue & white ceramic handle, and a wall sconce with a glass hurricane shade.

I used to be one of those people who holds on to any gift received. That lasted until our big move from CT to NH some 3 years ago, when I began to ask myself, WHY THE HECK DID I HOLD ON TO THAT???

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I too have this idea that gifts be saved......but there are exceptions !

judy and SBSVC like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They are all reproductions. Antique items likes these would usually be brass, and I've never seen an antique one with 'Delft' handles, I think they are all 1960s-80s.
    I don't think they were sold in souvenir shops here, but they may have been exported as Dutch souvenirs.
    Here in the Netherlands those copper nostalgic items with 'Delft' handles were very popular among people who couldn't afford antiques. Thankfully they could afford real plants, the Netherlands is a plant and flower country, so the prices are reasonable. They would stick the plants in those copper scuttles and put them on their window sills, so people like Opoe and myself, who only had old junk, could admire them in passing.;)

Poffertjes, the flag marks the highest point in the Netherlands:
    [​IMG]
    Preferably eaten in an 'Oud-Hollandse' poffertjeskraam (hidden behind Dutch bicycles):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Sassy, you've got your nose the wrong way around.:D
    This is an antique toy snotneus my grandmother used to play with, the rounded part of the base faces front.
    upload_2017-9-19_11-15-29.jpeg
    These could be hung on walls, that is why the back is flattened. When on the wall, the oil canister could be taken out to be filled. The wick was inserted into the spout. The spout of the snotneus was a little longer than that of the canister, so the oil from the wick wouldn't spill on the floor.
    upload_2017-9-19_11-17-14.jpeg

It doesn't look like yours is actually broken, just that the solder didn't hold very well. You can get that mended, preferably with the nose facing front.;)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    clutteredcloset49, komokwa and judy like this.
  20. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

Haha, they do look very cozy/gezellig...one of my grandmas had them, the other could afford real antiques.