Brass(?) Bronze(?) Opium pipe?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Aug 3, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a thrift store this morning! Is it a opium pipe? (the manager thought it was)
    If not what is it/was it for?
    Where is it from? (looking at it straight on from the front it looks like a Peruvian indian? Native American indian?
    What is it made of?
    Any idea of it's age?
    Any help would be appreciated - I don't know what I have!

PIPI OPIUM PIP 1AA.RESIZED.JPG PIPI OPIUM PIP 2AAA.JPG PIPI OPIUM PIP 3AA.JPG PIPI OPIUM PIP 4AA.JPG PIPI OPIUM PIP 5AA.JPG PIPI OPIUM PIP 5AAA.JPG PIPI OPIUM PIP 6AA.JPG PIPI OPIUM PIP 7AA.JPG PIPI OPIUM PIP 8AA.JPG PIPI OPIUM PIP 8AAA.JPG

laura9797 and judy like this.
  2. journeymagazine

Can anyone tell me what this is?

3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

laura9797, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  4. journeymagazine

Thank you!

judy likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is not an opium pipe, that large bowl doesn't work for opium.
    Most traditional Asian pipes are for smoking medicinal herbs or tobacco, and that is what this was likely used for.

Most of the similar pipes I come across are described as being made by the Shan, an ethnic minority who mostly live in Burma (Myanmar).
    I don't know the exact use of the pipes, but the Garuda, the divine bird from Hinduism, adds a spiritual link to the pipe, which points in the direction of healing or ritual.

I think yours and the ones on Catawiki are probably made for export or tourism, but they are very nice.

Below is an older Burmese pipe bowl with a praying figure, much like a Teppanom, a Thai and Burmese guardian angel, so also a spiritual figure:

[​IMG]
    https://bronzesofindia.com/smoking-pipe/

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted