Brass? Candlesticks from Quito, Ecuador - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Beverly F., Mar 7, 2021.

1. Beverly F.

Beverly F. Member

information about this item 045.JPG information about this item 048.JPG information about this item 051.JPG information about this item 055.JPG information about this item 061.JPG information about this item 064.JPG I bought this pair of candle holders in Quito, Ecuador in 1977. They probably came from a craft type of gift shop as I bought hand made birds also. Was told the maker was famous but was never given a name. They could have said that to make the sale as my Spanish is very very limited. There are no marks that I can see. In taking the pictures, there is a small hold in the middle of the base but it does not go through or serve any purpose. I've never cleaned them. Did I get something special or just something that was pleasing to my eye? Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2021
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome, Beverly!

Ive enlarged your photos. Please check the box for Full Images in the Future, Thanks :)

3. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Sorry to break it to you, but they are most likely 1950s, and perhaps closer to the purchase date, and mass produced. And yes, they are brass.
    But don't you let that ruin your mementos, what really matters is that you think they are beautiful or useful, as Morris put it.

4. Beverly F.

Beverly F. Member

5. Beverly F.

Beverly F. Member

Thank you, I was curious. I liked them & still do which is the most important part. Doubt I paid very much for them. At that time, 1977, I commissioned a painting of the view from my hotel window. That painting and the stories with it will always be very 'valuable' to me. But now this is making me think I should look up the artists name to see if it should be insured. This is such a wonderful site!