Brass Mortar and Pestle - How old is mine?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by jojo123, Mar 15, 2021.

1. jojo123

jojo123 New Member

Hello! I found this very heavy brass mortar and pestle at talize in Canada. It has a 9 at the bottom. There are some fine rings going around the inside rim and bottom. There is a little dip on the inside center but not on the outside. It's 4.6" tall and the base is nearly 3" wide. It looks old to me, but i'm no expert. Any ideas?

Here are photos: https://www.pinterest.ca/retroarrayy/brass-mortar-and-pestal/

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. jojo123

jojo123 New Member

I can't figure out how to post pictures, ugh!

4. i need help

5. jojo123

jojo123 New Member

All my images are too large apparently

6. i need help

Email them to yourself as Medium.

7. i need help

8. jojo123

jojo123 New Member

I haven't figured that out yet (I just made an account now). It's a shame they can't be enlarged to see details. Thank you for helping!

i need help likes this.
  9. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

A few observations:

1. It's lathe-spun (you can see the drill-marks from where it was mounted to the lathe)

2. The mortar & pestle aren't original to each other, and are married. The pestle is a much more bright, yellow golden colour, whereas the mortar is much darker.

3. I think it's actually meant to be a '6' instead of a 9. Mortars were stamped with numbers like this (I have one marked '5') which presumably were some variety of size-indication, although exactly what the sizes were, I'm not sure (I suspect, capacity/volume).

Brass mortars like this were often used in medical and scientific situations, such as in apothecaries / pharmacists for grinding ingredients to make medicine. The brass was easy to clean, heavy (so it wouldn't be knocked over), and since it's non-ferrous, it wouldn't rust or discolour from the contents of the mortar, which would taint or contaminate whatever you were making (which could be disastrous if it was some kind of medicine).

So far as I know, the carved rings are purely for decoration. A lot of antique mortars and pestles had these, added in by the manufacturer during the spinning process, just to give it a bit of visual appeal.

Figtree3, jojo123, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

bad casting, probably Indian. the two rings are good for nothing or rather to deviate the eye from the cut-in point for the running center.

jojo123 likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Readily found for sale new in Spain today. Here's something not dissimilar from Amazon.es.

Debora

Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 12.27.24 AM.png

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

jojo123 likes this.
  13. jojo123

jojo123 New Member

Thank you! By drill do you mean the "hole" on the center inside? I don't see a dip on the outside center. How old do you think it is?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  14. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted