Brass Mortar & Pestle: Victorian?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by CasperFrazz, Aug 21, 2020.

1. CasperFrazz

CasperFrazz New Member

Hello everyone!
    this is my first thread and firstly I want to thank you all in advance for the time you dedicate to answer all the questions in this forum.

I acquired this brass mortar and pestle as a decorative piece for my painting studio. I was wondering if you can help me understanding it's age, and if there are elements that helps identifying the period when it could have been made?

Could it be Victorian? I've left a few images attached.

Many thanks again
    Casper

Attached Files:

Shangas, NewEngland and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Casper. I will tag another member for you, @Shangas .:)

Bakersgma likes this.
  3. CasperFrazz

CasperFrazz New Member

Many thanks for your welcome message! Looking forward to hear what Shangas has to say :) have a good day

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

These are still being made and sold in Spain. Could well be a nice souvenir.

Debora

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

7. CasperFrazz

CasperFrazz New Member

Thanks Debora, to me it doesn’t look to be a modern souvenir, it’s too well made, but I could be wrong! Are there any details from these shots you shared that I am missing? @Any Jewelry and @komokwa

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

OH EETZ GAWGUSS!! :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

OK. I think it's antique. Victorian at the very least. It has details on it which you don't find on modern M&P sets. The rings carved into the base and sides, for example. Those are an extra, decorative element, that most modern manufacturers wouldn't bother with.

Also, you can see the bumps and dents and dings. It speaks of a life of regular (and probably quite heavy) use. This is something that's been dragged around, knocked over, dinged up, ground, crunched, wham-wham-wham-wham!!...it's a beautiful object to be sure, and one with a storied past known only to itself.

9. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

OK. I've finished fanboying over it...

The mortar is obviously lathe-spun. You can see the marks on it. The pestle would've been made the same way. I think it's a gorgeous, lovely piece of antique brassware and definitely has significant age. Whether it's Victorian or Georgian, we may never know, but it is a nice, big size and in wonderful condition. I would add it to my collection, if I could.

CasperFrazz and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. CasperFrazz

CasperFrazz New Member

Thanks @Shangas ,
    That’s lots of details and I’m very happy that is not a contemporary piece.

Any Jewelry likes this.