Brass pitcher, perhaps Indian

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by jefferies, May 20, 2024.

1. jefferies

jefferies Member

jug left side.jpg jug right side.jpg I found an obviously vintage, small brass pitcher in a charity shop.

After looking around the web a bit, I think it is probably Indian - though I cannot find a pitcher that actually resembles this one.

Note the swastika, widely used in the Indian area - the four ends pointing left, unlike the form of the Nazi swastika where the ends point right.

There are other decorations which show up on the two photos.

Can anybody help me with its age, origin, and function.

jug left side.jpg jug right side.jpg

jug left side.jpg

wlwhittier likes this.
  2. jefferies

jefferies Member

Sorry about the duplicate images.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I see Asian...
    [​IMG]
    Chinese bronze ............. perhaps...

4. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Chinese/Vietnamese and missing the wine ewer top. That mark is not an Indian whirling log.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

What's the actual size,is this hollow or solid (like a charm/talisman),would this have held oils/unguents ?
    Show base/top.

wlwhittier likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

There is a Shou symbol on one side, a Chinese symbol for good luck. So I assume it is Chinese. As others said it is missing its lid.
    The swastika is widely used in all Hindu and Buddhist regions, as well as in Shamanism, and it can turn either way.
    Before WWII it was also used in the Western world, and it is even found on European pre-historic carvings and rock paintings. As far as I know the Sami in Northern Europe still use it.
    The Nazi 'Hakenkreuz' rested on the tip of one arm, something you occasionally see in Asia as well. Most of the time the Asian swastika sits on the horizontal half of one arm.

Swastika is a Sanskrit word, so of Indian origin. The Nazi Swastika was called Hakenkreuz, so imo we can still use the Sanskrit word.

In Native American art the term 'Whirling Log' is often used. I believe the origin of the term is Dinéh (Navajo). If not, please correct me.

laura9797, wlwhittier and komokwa like this.
  7. jefferies

jefferies Member

I have poked around a bit and found the lid. I now have something identical to the image posted above by Komokwa.

Does anybody know whether there is a regular name for such things?

8. jefferies

jefferies Member

Now that I have found the lid, it is approx 25 cm high. It is hollow and presumably for pouring liquids.

9. jefferies

jefferies Member

I am assuming it is a reproduction. Is that right?

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Bronze ritual wine ewer?

komokwa likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, a wine ewer, albeit a small one. It is unlikely to be ritual though. Just a regular wine ewer with auspicious symbols for the good health of the moderate drinker.;)

komokwa likes this.