Brass plates?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by DFLaird, Feb 1, 2018.

1. DFLaird

DFLaird Member

043.JPG 044 (800x800).jpg FullSizeRender (640x479).jpg View attachment 110412 View attachment 110412 View attachment 110412 IMG_0766 (640x640).jpg We found these in my in-laws stuff. The one with the face is about 12". The other one is 14" and has state seals on that one. They are both flat and have tabs to hang them up that have "England" on it. I have looked online and can find nothing like them anywhere. Any info would be appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. DFLaird

DFLaird Member

Sorry. I am trying to upload the photos

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That's ok, you're halfway there. Could you go back to edit and click on full image please?

4. DFLaird

DFLaird Member

I'm sorry Any Jewelry..what do you mean? Are the images not coming thru. Sometimes I am technology challenged..lol.

Christmasjoy, bobsyouruncle and judy like this.
  5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

It's really hard to see any detail in your pictures but I believe they are both Confederate United States Civil War commemorative plates. The first depicting Robert E Lee and the second, the state seals of the states in the Confederacy.

Christmasjoy, Bakersgma, judy and 2 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They are coming through, but as thumbnails, difficult to see for those on phones. Here is the info again, where you can select full image has been outlined in red. You won't actually see that, this is just to explain.

[​IMG]

7. DFLaird

DFLaird Member

Thank you for your reply. I will see if I can get some better pictures

8. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

? commemorative from 1961

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. DFLaird

DFLaird Member

I have attached an up close picture of the face and some of the seals...gotta get to work now..will check back later.

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Definitely Robert E. Lee on the first and the seals of the states that seceded from the Union to form the Confederate States in 1861. I agree with bobs that a 1961 date would make the most sense. Were your in-laws from the South, DF?

The white "coating"? on them is rather odd. See how the legs of the 2 figures in the center of the second plate, the letters on the banners above and below the central seal and the 2 ovals on the bottom of the rim have not had the white stuff completely removed?

Figtree3, Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  11. aaroncab

Also interesting to me that rather than the seal of the Confederate States (George Washington on horseback) - this has a shield with the figures on each side, and the crossed "stars and bars" in the center. The confederate motto "deo vindice" is below, and "in our hands" is above, directly below a depiction of the facade of a church. I haven't found anything that relates "in our hands" directly to the confederacy - would be interesting to find out why this is on this plate. Also @DFLaird - a closer up picture of the bottom portion of the plate where there are two oval cartouches - one saying "south carolina" around the edge - flanked by a woman on the left and a man on the right - would be very useful. Thanks!

12. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I've heard that a lot of the statues that are being taken down....were put up then....

Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  14. aaroncab

Indeed - and yes appears the bottom symbol is indeed the seal of the state of South Carolina, but flanked by a woman and a man - with an angel flying over it. The woman and man and angel are additions to how it normally appears. Maybe South Carolina got special treatment on this plaque due to it being the first to secede from the Union?

15. DFLaird

DFLaird Member

No..not from the south..they just liked going to yard sales

Houseful likes this.
  16. aaroncab

And poking around a bit more - appears that what is on this plaque is not South Carolina's seal per se - but it's coat of arms which was adopted in 1876.

See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_of_South_Carolina

17. DFLaird

DFLaird Member

I will take a picture of the bottom part and post it

18. aaroncab

Thanks, Also a picture of the back of one of them, as well as a closeup of where the "England" mark is may help in giving a more precise date.

19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

@komokwa - Then or somewhat earlier. There are lots of Confederate statues out there, many from the 1910s and 1920s. (They're good for collecting pigeon poop). The white finish on the plates looks like some kind of paint.

Bakersgma, komokwa and aaroncab like this.
  20. aaroncab

Agreed - Looks to me like someone painted the walls with a power sprayer and went right over them - then came back later and cleaned some of the paint off.

Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted