Brass porthole to become family heirloom

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Piper G, Dec 29, 2023.

1. Piper G

Piper G New Member

So here's the short version. My husband had this porthole bouncing around the house for all of our 21-years of marriage. His 45-year-old son says he remembers it when he was a kid.

My husband and I fought his battle against a rare, aggressive cancer for 3 years. It wasn't until we brought hospice in that suddenly things, like this stupid porthole, gained importance. Before my husband passed, 8 weeks ago, I told him I would polish it up, mount it, and have our family name burned into the wood to pass down as a family heirloom.

The hidden message here...don't wait to do anything! Someday comes way sooner than you think.

Here are pics of the porthole before and after cleaning. I'm wondering if anyone can take a stab at where to find a historian that might give me some info I can pass along with the heirloom. My husband was from Long Island, New York. His Irish grandpa did work on the docks of NY after immigrating here. I'm taking a guess that's where it came from.

Ok, I need some help how to attach a photo. In trying to upload a pic from my phone it tells me the file is too large.

kyratango, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Piper, someone will be along shortly with instructions.

Debora

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Is you phone an Iphone or Android?

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Spot ON, Piper! Thanks...an' Welcome!

kyratango and judy like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Sorry for your loss ! :(

You might want to copy and save this for reference for a while....it helps when you're new!!!:rolleyes:

For Future reference, when posting images:

Each image MUST be UNDER 1 MB....
    There are instructions on site here on how to reduce the size of your image, if that is the problem......you are allowed up to 10 images per post!!! Here are some links to the instructions:

Try emailing them to yourself as "medium" size, they should then be under 1 MB!

If on the computer:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/posting-a-thread-and-uploading-pictures.15990/

If on an iPhone:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/resizing-photos-on-i-phone.35097/

And if on an Android phone:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/using-an-android-phone-for-pics-on-antiquers.41709/

As an added note, when you have your photos LISTED, BUT BEFORE you hit POST, please click on the wording that says to "INSERT EVERY IMAGE AS FULL IMAGE" !! That way, we're not clicking on little thumbnails, but get to see all of the images full sized!! Thanks! Remember, it takes a bit for MOST new members to get the hang of it, but it's really quite simple once you get used to it!!!" If you still have questions, DON'T hesitate to ASK!!!!

Figtree3, kyratango, judy and 3 others like this.
  6. Piper G

Piper G New Member

5E8C0943-1C35-4CBF-AA9D-EC3266AC12F8.jpeg AA1B4032-2AE1-4F86-88E5-15AB4659455D.jpeg

7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers Piper G.

So sorry for your loss.

kyratango and Piper G like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The internet identifies this as a brass marine octagon porthole. Not sure you'll be able to learn more than that.

Debora

Last edited: Dec 30, 2023
  9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Ditto what Debora said.
    It's definitely "old" and looks fab all cleaned up!
    I presume no numbers or other marks were found on it?

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@Piper G , Welcome to Antiquers. Condolences on the loss of your husband.

There are a few museums in New York City that might be able to either help, or have the knowledge to refer you to an appropriate place to ask questions. One is the Maritime Industry Museum on the campus of SUNY Maritime College in the Bronx. Here is a link to a contact page for them:
    https://www.sunymaritime.edu/about/maritime-industry-museum

wlwhittier, komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted