Bristol or not, timeframe?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Ladybranch, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

A query on this forum about Bristol glass just reminded me I have a dresser jar I'd like you glass gurus to assure me that it is authentic early Bristol or that it isn't. If it is authentic what would be a timeframe for it? I know early early "Bristol" glass was made in the latter half of the 1700s. I think that glass was mainly deep blue, pale green, clear and opaque white glass. Colors like this clambroth probably weren't produced until the late Victorian era. I know, Af, glass is not doubt still being produced in Bristol today making it authentic Bristol glass. ;) Thought I'd add that before Af. Germany and France were also known for producing this type of glass. I'm just not sure what to think about this jar.

Description:

Total height: 8 1/2" high, jar 4 1/2" high, cover 4 3/4" high, base 2 3/4" in diameter. Clam broth with narrow enameled band of green and red flora on jar and cover. The jar and cover also has gold trim and swags. The cover is topped with a crown finial. The bottom of the base, the pontil, is very smooth with slight indenture. Interior of cover, the pontil, is smooth, but has a very jagged sharp edge in the middle. The jar is very light in weight for its size. The overall finish is smooth and soft. There are no cracks or chips, but quite a bit of wear to the painted décor.

Have included pictures. The pics taken in the direct sun light and the translucent pic really change the color of the jar.

TIA.

--- Susan

BristolGlassJar.jpg BristolGlassJarTranslucent.jpg

BristolGlassJarPontils-combo.jpg

BristolGlassJarOpen.jpg

2. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

These (this style of glass and decoration) have been found in catalogs from 'Bohemia' ca. 1910 or so. Hope this helps.

Ladybranch likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call this clambroth, but opaque glass.
    Bristol style, but not Bristol.

Don't rule out Czechoslovakia region for origin. 1880s- pre WWI

Ladybranch likes this.
  4. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

What they said.

One word...Bohemian...

...Although WAY back in the old days (60s-70s) these were UNIVERSALLY accepted as Bristol glass.

Ladybranch likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Agreed: Bohemian, enamelled on opaque aka milk glass, late 19th C. The bottom is typical.

Ladybranch likes this.
  6. Ladybranch

Thank you, thank you one and all! It's great to see all the gurus (Tom/Ch, Pat/Clutter, Don, Bear) agreeing on country/region of origin - Bohemia/Czech and the timeframe! Y'all do include Czechoslovakia in the Bohemia region don't you?

>I wouldn't call this clambroth, but opaque glass.<
    >...enamelled on opaque aka milk glass,...<

Hmmmm.... to me opaque by itself isn't a color and milk glass is opaque white glass. Do y'all feel this is a white glass? What color would you call it if not clambroth?

--- Susan

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Susan,
    Clam broth is a very transparent light off color grayish white. Yours is darker and more opaque. i would call yours more of a light custard.
    greg

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Bohemia and Czechoslovakia overlap with Bohemia making up a good portion of the country that became Czechoslovakia. It also encompassed part of Austria and Hungary. I'm terrible at geography. The history of that area changed borders over and over.

Greg's explanation of clambroth is correct.
    However, I don't see yellow on my screen, more of a grey/brown, so I would hesitate to call it custard.

9. Ladybranch

>Clam broth is a very transparent light off color grayish white.<

Hmmmm, you are so right Greg. Thank you. It is more of a grayish white color. Geeeee, there is a lot of Bristol type glass being miss named on the Internet.

>Bohemia and Czechoslovakia overlap with Bohemia making up a good portion of the country that became Czechoslovakia...<

That what I thought, but didn't know if in the world of glass it was considered so when Czech was specifically pointed out among the mention of Bohemia. I guess Bohemia would be considered a general area of origin and Czech possibly a more specific area or country???

>i would call yours more of a light custard.<
    >I don't see yellow ... hesitate to call it custard.<

The first pic of the whole jar is the best for showing the true color. Now there may be a yellowish shade in the pics of the pontils due to the extreme sunlight. Those pics do look more custard in color, but I don't consider them true color.

Thank you both for your input!

--- Susan

10. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

In the mid to late 20th century a type of glass was called 'FireGlow', some once thought it was from Sandwich. It was a warm gray brown color that when held up to transmitted light showed the rich colors that your piece shows. This is not to say that yours is FireGlow, but that it is similar. The 'color' that yours is, is not named, otherwise, but is often described.

Draft saved Draft deleted