bronze arrow shaped,what are they

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by savwillsell09, May 26, 2018.

1. savwillsell09

savwillsell09 Active Member

tag sale find,not a clue..they all seem to be a little different from each other,all have a thru hole in the side and a blind hole in the end...TIA 001.JPG 001.JPG 002.JPG 002.JPG

kyratango likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Finials for flag poles?

kyratango and aaroncab like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

5. savwillsell09

savwillsell09 Active Member

my first thought was weather vane...thanks again!!

komokwa likes this.
  6. komokwa

I guess you could make em into anything....;):)

anundverkaufen likes this.
  7. komokwa

I could be off...about the whale aspect......
    I can't confirm the info below....

upload_2018-5-26_20-37-53.jpeg

John Clark donated these harpoon tips invented by F. Gilbert Hinsdale for swordfishing. (Photo by: Georgia Sparling)

“From Scrimshaw to Survival: Sophia Means’ Descendants and the Town of Mattapoisett” is the new summer exhibit opening at the Mattapoisett Historical Society Museum on July 1.

“It’s a look at how one family contributes to Mattapoisett over a century,” says Curator Elizabeth Hutchinson.

In 1902, Sophia Means, a Boston woman with two daughters, purchased the property at 20 Water Street and built a home there. Means’ family tree would branch off to include Hinsdales, Todds, Fields and Mellos.

The exhibit began to form after the 20 Water Street property and a Todd family residence on North Street were sold. Means' descendants split up the artifacts inside and some family members offered, several to add to the collection, others to borrow.

Many of the pieces in the collection come from F. Gilbert Hinsdale, who married Means' daughter Martha. The two split their time between New York and the Water Street home for decades.

Hinsdale was a collector, an art lover, an inventor and an avid swordfisherman.

“Hinsdale was interesting because he was a whaling era memorabilia collector. He collected all this whaling memorabilia that people at the time weren’t thinking about collecting,” said Hutchinson.

As such, Hinsdale preserved some of Mattapoisett’s whaling history. Much of his collection of whaling harpoons and scrimshaw, engraved bone that usually comes from whales, was donated to the New Bedford Whaling Museum in 1959, but some of it stayed in the family.

Mattapoisett native John Mello, a descendent of the Means family, loaned the museum several intricately carved pieces of scrimshaw from Hinsdale’s collection.

Hinsdale’s own inventions also appear in the museum. Though he worked in textiles in New Bedford, he also spent a lot of time on the sea. Hinsdale invented a number of harpoon darts for swordfishing, including one moveable tip that splays out after snagging its catch.

8. komokwa

upload_2018-5-26_20-42-12.jpeg

these say they were for tuna...............?

9. komokwa

19th Century MICMAC Indian Bronze Whaling Harpoon Point

From east coast Canada. Circa 1850 - 1880. Via second generation private collection. Measures 5 " long by 2 " wide. Excellent uncleaned condition. Made of hand worked copper or bronze.

upload_2018-5-26_20-47-30.gif

It would seem that there are many claims as to what these really are.....:wacky::wacky:

10. komokwa

upload_2018-5-26_21-19-18.png
    the one that got away..............

11. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

Your gonna need a bigger boat!

12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

You're right on target, Komo!!!! We grew up playing with them on The Cape and Block Island!!!! Still have one or two floating around somewhere!!

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I forgot.....They also make an awesome fireplace poker!!!:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin: My Dad carved the handle with the swordfish on it.....

zFireplaePoker.jpg

14. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

I thought Mobydick when pic appeared:woot:;)

15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:happy::happy::happy:

16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

They also look like gnomons.

Draft saved Draft deleted