Bronze Art Nouveau Statues ... allegorical?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 7, 2016.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Just bought these and don't have them in-hand as of yet. This is the only picture I have. They are actually plated spelter and appear to be period. Are these allegorical statues for day and night? Any idea who the artist is? Was told that they are unsigned but I don't know how closely the seller looked. I should have these in my possession early next week.

statues.jpg

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I had a look around... saw a few examples that didn't look anything like yours, BUT... this one below was the only one to pop up in several spots, so maybe it's a good example, and certainly is similar.
    cd3e7dafbc8c78edfa9af4f80537f695.jpg

3. verybrad

Thanks ... I have been looking around and also coming up blank. A look on ebay didn't bring up anything exactly like these either but there are comparable period plated spelter figures for $ comparison. I think I'll do OK with these, with or without attribution. There is some minor wear and one base is split but I think not too bad for age. There was a second pair with an agricultural theme with a bit more damage to them. I passed on them but will be able to get a better look at them next week if not sold already. May also be worth the gamble since they were slightly less money for the pair than these.

4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I forgot to add... they're beautiful!

5. verybrad

Thanks! Here is the second pair. They seem to have quite a bit of loss of finish to both bases. Not sure if it is plating or just paint. The seller wasn't sure and I can't tell from the photo. If just paint, they may be worth buying. They are $75.00 for the pair and I paid $90.00 for the other pair. Not a lot of money for these but they do need to be able to be sold at a profit.

statues2.jpg

statues2a.jpg

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would certainly think "Le Jour" and "Le Nuit" given one figure stands on sunbeams and the other on a crescent moon.

Debora

7. verybrad

That is what I was seeing as well but wanted to make sure. The imagery is fairly recognizable as such but not overly overt. I didn't really get the sunbeams until I recognized the crescent moon.

8. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I know zip about the value of these, however I think from a decorative standpoint, the ones you got are way more desirable than the second set. I could see those in a lot of different settings, the second set not as much.

(Perhaps because we'd rather think about floating gowns and mingling with fairies and whatnot, rather than "working in the field".)

But if the 2nd set is from a maker that people collect, I could be wrong of course.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  9. Mary Delaney

Mary Delaney Well-Known Member

On the second pair, the "paint" appears to be curling? on the base. I immediately thought of how chrome will curl when it is damaged. (I'm thinking old car bumpers). Or am I just seeing things? Trying to help distinguish between paint and metal type finish.

10. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Just another 2 cents...
    I think we here would almost all prefer the first set.
    BUT... among those who either romanticize or experience rural/farm/ranch stuff, I could see the second set being preferred. Like people who sell tractors, actually farm, love gardening and preserving, value the "country" life, like country/western décor/music...
    But then I ask myself - are those folks likely to buy bronzes and such... and even if so, how do you reach them?

Draft saved Draft deleted