Featured Bronze & Ceramic Urn Vase - repro or old?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jaime Riggs, Apr 1, 2024.

1. Jaime Riggs

Jaime Riggs Well-Known Member

I'm currently going through items purchased from an estate where the lady had antiques mixed with repros. I'm not sure on this vase? Any help appreciated. Would this be a Napolean III style?

111.jpg 1111.jpg 11111.jpg 111111.jpg aaa.jpg

mirana, komokwa, johnnycb09 and 3 others like this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Beautiful -- Is the body made of glass, or ceramic? Or something else?

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Never mind my previous question! For some reason this site is not letting me edit it.

komokwa likes this.
  4. Jaime Riggs

heavy ceramic with fired gold accents

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I think that you would have to remove the metal mounts to see any marks on the base, and that's not practical. There is a vaguely art nouveau look to the style of the mounts (elongated birds' necks and the swirl on the base) so I would think end of 19th c up to first quarter of 20th. I quite like it.

charlie cheswick and Figtree3 like this.
  6. Jaime Riggs

Thank you so much!!

7. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

the ceramic part is a hard one to even have a guess at, looks like a mixture of styles
    the leaves look almost faience decorated
    are the dark areas on it black or a dark cobalt blue ?

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Part of a garniture.

9. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Lots of similar French items coming up on Google image search, although not found an exact hit yet. I sincerely doubt it is repro with that cast base.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  10. Jaime Riggs

They are black.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  11. Jaime Riggs

Thank you, I'm always afraid of selling something as original and finding out it is a repo.

12. Jaime Riggs

Here is an example of why I thought it might be Napoleon III style, this type of base is found in a lot of pieces of that era, also the bird/heron handles

Attached Files:

Figtree3 and kentworld like this.
  13. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Yes I can see the similarities with a lot of examples. The construction underneath on yours is different to the online example you have just posted.. I would be inclined to search for as many examples as possible and draw comparisons. Or you could send images to an auction house such as Bonhams for evaluation. Do you have any provenance from the sellers?

Draft saved Draft deleted