Bronze Chinese Censer

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Calum Coutts, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Calum Coutts

Calum Coutts Member

Hey,

Can anybody tell me anything about this censer? I bought it at an auction and am curious to know its age.

Thanks a lot

rsz_img_20201002_082807.jpg rsz_img_20201002_082758.jpg rsz_img_20201002_082745.jpg rsz_img_20201002_082734.jpg

2. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

The bottom is 大明宣德年製 "Ming Xuande Years System" six characters. Essentially a date stamp.

The Xuande Emperor was the fifth Emperor of the Ming Dynasty 16 March 1399 – 31 January 1435.

patd8643 likes this.
  3. Couch Potato Wannabe

I'd need a better photo(s) of the script text around the sides to read them.

4. Calum Coutts

Calum Coutts Member

Thanks so much, really appreciate it. Ill get some more photos.

Do you think it could be that old?! Or more likely a reproduction?

5. Calum Coutts

Calum Coutts Member

6. Calum Coutts

Calum Coutts Member

Think it might still be a bit difficult to read?

7. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

I can't see it being that old (1400s) so guess it's a repro of some sort. But that's my very uninformed opinion. It's an attractive and striking piece ... I'll watch this post with interest.

8. Couch Potato Wannabe

It certainly could be a modern repro - try looking for tell-tale signs of modern manufacturing techniques.

That said, being a metal piece, if look after, a metal item could look as new as it did when first made.

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You could, but there is enough staring you in the face to tell you that this isn't Xuande period. The crispness of the lettering, for one thing.
    There is nice wear on the lid and handles, consistent with normal use. I would think this censer is ca 1900. So probably antique, but not Ming period.

It is best to gently remove the verdigris (green stuff). I usually dab it with oil first, let it soak for a while, then remove the oil and verdigris with alcohol.

10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I don't even think it goes back to 1900, far more recent. I'm always suspicious of over-the-top decoration on utilitarian pieces of less than top quality -and even some that are!

11. Calum Coutts

Calum Coutts Member

Thank you all for your help :) if I put in on ebay with a starting price of $300, would that be about right? Or is it worth getting it appraised??

12. Any Jewelry

That would be overly ambitious imo, you can buy genuine traditional bronze censers for less. It is not a collector's item.
    No, sorry.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  13. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I’m think I’m much older than that piece. One thing I mention periodically regarding Chinese “antiques” is My belief that for a craftsman or craftsmen to make some object, there had to be a market for it. Real and early masterpieces had emperors as customers. After the wealthy emperors were gone, when was the next time there was a market? Figure when the Export nicknack/souvenir market got going, post-wwii at the earliest. So there is a gap of at least a century when there was little or no market for Chinese-made fine-art objects. So of course I’m skeptical when such pieces are dated to what I believe to be a period of very little if any Chinese production of fine art objects. The clue, as with this piece, is sloppiness in the craftsmanship. The casting on this item is only fair at best. But I always welcome more accurate info.

14. Any Jewelry

Real censers were always in demand, for religious purposes. Not just in temples and monasteries, but also at home. Every Chinese household honoured the ancestors and the Gods on a home altar.

But this is not a traditional piece. It is too ott to be genuine. Export pieces like this were already made in the 19th century. This is slightly later imo, but it still looks to have been made to a Western taste that was very 'frilly' Victorian. Mind you, there are still people who like 'frilly' Victorian.;) I'm afraid I am not one of them.

15. Calum Coutts

Calum Coutts Member

Ah well. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. springfld.arsenal

I think it is very recent because of all the too-obvious characters cast all over it. Another of my theories holds that since internet searching became popular, tourists and collectors have been more interested in acquiring marked items they can research, than unmarked things. So marked items sell better, and fantasy-item makers want to exploit this.

17. Calum Coutts

Calum Coutts Member

That makes sense. Is a patina like this easy to fake though or can bronze look like this after 20 or so years?

18. Any Jewelry

It is artificially patinated, which is not unusual even on traditional bronzes and brasses, simply for aesthetic reasons.
    What you have to look for is the wear, where it is more brass coloured and smooth. That looks like genuine wear to me.

19. springfld.arsenal

I don’t recall a photo of the bottoms of the feet. ?

20. Calum Coutts

Calum Coutts Member

Thanks Any Jewelry, i never new that