Bronze gilt bowl - Japanese?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Vogel, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Vogel

Vogel Member

Hello, I'm a new member. The reason for this threat is this heavy, bronze bowl with gilt (?) on the inside. My first guess is Japanese.. could it be Hakuichi/Kanazawa?
    height: ca. 3.94" / 10,5 cm;
    diameter: ca. 8.62" / 21.9 cm.
    I'ld highly appreciate to hear your opinion in case you happen to recognize the style or age of this bowl. Thank you for your time and effort. upload_2019-8-11_21-19-33.png
    upload_2019-8-11_21-18-48.png

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Begging bowl? I think it's nice: has the sort of rusticity that can only be achieved through sophisticated technique.

i need help, Bronwen and Vogel like this.
  3. Vogel

Vogel Member

Interesting, Moreotherstuff.
    Here's another picture - patina?
    upload_2019-8-11_22-28-11.png

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like verdigris from exposure from a number of chemicals,salt,etc.[​IMG]

Vogel likes this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

we all make errors like that............. still........funny !!! :playful:

7. Bronwen

My fingers type 'cameo' nearly every time I want to put 'came', & of course nothing spell check can do about it. We all also tend to read what we expect to read. I seem to be a congenital proofreader, although I still find plenty of typos in my own text after it has been sent/posted, even when I think it has been thoroughly reviewed.

kyratango, i need help, Vogel and 3 others like this.
  8. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I have that disease as well.......have been looking for a cure for three quarters of a century..................don't think there is one..............

kyratango, i need help, Vogel and 3 others like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i still type with the ' middle finger ' ...and while i've gotten quicker and better at it ... it's still easy to goof up !

10. Bronwen

When we can't immediately come up with a good answer, we tend to get off topic.

This isn't my area but I like the bowl. Had to look up Hakuichi (& Google suggested I meant Hakuhici or something that probably wouldn't have returned any results.) Very weird operation. Good choice for gifts to give Goldfinger Trump. I don't think your bowl looks like one of theirs; ones shown very sleek. However, Japanese does seem like a good guess.

How do you know it's bronze? I don't know it's not, it's just that photos alone don't convince me it is. Seems to sit on a very small base. Is it stable? Are the places on the outside that have the appearance of incrustations really an integral part of the bowl?

i need help and Vogel like this.
  11. Bronwen

The oxidation/verdigris is consistent with copper-containing bronze, also with brass. The exterior looks artificially patinated.

i need help and Vogel like this.
  12. Vogel

Vogel Member

Please accept my APOLOGIES. Thanks to your contributions, which made me start questioning the Japanese origin, I've googled just "bronze bowl" (without 'gilt' or 'Japanese') and guess what, it's contemporary, sold by a Dutch Gallery, made by 'Bronze Age', "a design studio that uses both modern fabrication and traditional bronze sculpture casting techniques": https://nuweland.nl/en/designer/bronze-age-2/
    I've purchased this item on the Dutch Marktplaats, for a nickel and a dime.

Jivvy, SBSVC, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  13. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Yo! No need to apologize! WE are all here to learn and pride ourselves on doing it together. But thank YOU for sharing the information you found - so many people would have either just disappeared or would have continued to argue. Vogel, you ROCK!

sorry about the value of your nice bowl - but maybe on that narrow table in the foyer to toss your keys in when you get home???

Jivvy, SBSVC, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  14. Vogel

Vogel Member

Oops, that's a relief. This forum is so different than others. Better, I'ld say. Much better. I'ld wish to develop 'an eye' for antiques, just like you distinctive members. Just a long road ahead. haha!

15. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

ABSOLUTELY AGREE WITH YOU, Mansons!:)

Ha! :) I bet you'll soon be the BEST member of this BEST ever forum:joyful:
    Since your "Thank you" introduction post, I knew that:):)

16. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

17. Vogel

Vogel Member

Thank you for your kind words, Kyratango, Mansons :shame::shame: not without your help.

kyratango, Jivvy and i need help like this.