Bronze incense burner description help please

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by sassafras, Jul 7, 2018.

1. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

I've been trying to do some research on this incense burner and the only three that I've found with a similar creature on top are all giving VERY different descriptions. One says it's Japanese (poss Meiji period) with "foo lions". The second says it's Chinese with either a "foo dog, lizard, or dragon" on top. The third just lists it as having a Komainu on top with no other info except for the dimensions. I believe it's bronze and is 13 1/4" tall. Can anyone provide any info about about where it might be from, age, etc? Any info at all would be appreciated very much!
    DSCN6009_24992.JPG DSCN6008_24991.JPG

2. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

More and better photos would help. Underside, inside, inside of top, where handles join body. Details, we want details!

kyratango likes this.
  3. sassafras

These are the only other photos that I have in my file. I can take some more when I go back to the house.

DSCN6010_24993.JPG DSCN6011_24994.JPG

i need help likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The style looks Japanese to me, and Meiji would be the right period. I have seen similar ones with typically Japanese mythological beings.
    When you go back, could you also take more photos of the finial, and a closeup of the central decoration, in the cartouche?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    i need help and kyratango like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

6. sassafras

Thank you for your help! I will try to get some more photos today.

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. sassafras

Got a few more pics today. Hope they help! I couldn't get the lid off to take pics of the inside.

DSCN6231_25214 (2).JPG
    DSCN6232_25215 (2).JPG
    DSCN6228_25211.JPG DSCN6231_25214.JPG DSCN6234_25217.JPG DSCN6235_25218.JPG

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018