Bronze (or Brass) Vase - Origin ??

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by 15Stiftgasse, Jun 3, 2022.

1. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

I've just come across this supposedly old bronze vase, which appears to be possibly from the Middle East, rather than the Far East.

It may well be yet another repro for tourists, so I'm being cautious on this one.

Has anyone seem similar or is able to give an educated guess on age and origin ?
    Any contributions will be gratefully received !!!!!!!!

566_1978328295.jpg 566_584307288.jpg

stracci, Boland and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like Chinese Archaic style, but made later. Archaic style bronzes were very fashionable in the 19th-early 20th century, but are still made.
    Can you show us the base?

stracci, Figtree3, Boland and 3 others like this.
  3. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Maybe a bottle or vessel with the tubes on the top for rope or cord to go through for hanging. Just an old guys observation.
    Mikey

4. 15Stiftgasse

The base appears to be unmarked and fairly unremarkable..... 29b1faae-e33e-11ec-b52d-1f2730cf6e91.jpg

stracci likes this.
  5. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Yes, it is a Chinese vase with an archaic decoration. Imitations of archaic bronzes have been made for a very long time in China. This shape seems to be typical for Song dynasty. I am not a bronze expert and the photos are not the best but at least I would not totally exclude that this is not a modern fake.

6. 15Stiftgasse

Grateful thanks for all your comments !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is remarkable to me.;) Bases can be 'read'.
    This one has a thick foot rim, which means it is not Archaic period, as I already thought. It also has nice natural wear, which means it wasn't made yesterday. Even with part of the base cut off (please show bases in their entirety), it looks ca mid 19th century to me.
    That was this old girl's observation as well.:playful: But given the 'revival' style, more likely decorative.