Featured Bronze statue sells for $273,000 - auction estimate was $1000/1500

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Mill Cove Treasures, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I wish I had his phone number.... hers... its... theirs...

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Skinner's staff must be doing the same. Imagine the multiple of their commission between the 2 figures. ;)

4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Every antiquer's fantasy, am I right?

Bev aka thelmasstuff and cxgirl like this.
  5. Mill Cove Treasures

I wonder who actually made the statue and how the buyer knew what it was?

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

And why were there 2 bidders in the room who "knew" it was 17th century as opposed to the lot description. Unsigned does leave room for various opinions, but that seems a bit extreme.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  7. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

wow so cool!!

8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

You betcha gila!
    'Internet auctions send clear, enlargeable pictures around the world to entice bidders. Usually a foreigner will either come to the auction site, this time Boston, or send an expert to examine the piece. But any interest is kept secret to keep others from taking an extra look.'
    I think the above is true. With the internet items are open to the world and I'm sure collectors are looking everywhere for that 'unknown' piece to add to their collection and hoping that nobody else has spotted it.

9. Mill Cove Treasures

It will probably go up for auction again once it has been authenticated. Like this poor fellow who sold his painting for 42 thousand pounds. The new owner was an art expert and had another expert authenticate as a Caravaggio worth 10 million pounds. The first owner then sued Sotheby's for not doing the proper testing and investigating. I think I read that he lost the case.

Sotheby's must feel almost as bad as the original owner. That was a huge loss of commissions and had to be a bit of hit on their reputation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...r-it-was-later-claimed-as-10m-Caravaggio.html

antidiem, moreotherstuff and cxgirl like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Maybe Skinner has a bruised rep for this one ...?

11. Mill Cove Treasures

Knowledgeable buyers will love it, sellers, not so much. Skinner's doesn't provide the in depth research that Sotheby's does. . When I was selling something that had a crest, Skinner's told me "we'll probably never know whose crest it is" and gave me a very low value. I found the crest information on my own. I ended up selling it though Christie's with a starting price ten times the valuation I received from Skinners.

12. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Way to go mill cove!

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  14. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Hmm.... wish there were a 17th century bronze statue among my mother's things!

There is a lovely small bronze (or more likely, "bronzed") statue/statuette, but I bought it as a present for my parents in the '60s and it was new at the time. Oh, well....

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My family bronzes are family spelters.(LOL)

16. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

I dont like many bronze statues, but I do like that one.

17. Jo Taylor

Jo Taylor Member

He did lose it:
    https://news.artnet.com/art-world/sothebys-wins-case-over-158-million-caravaggio-223012

18. Mill Cove Treasures

"Following the ruling, a Sotheby's spokesperson expressed the company's delight in the judge's decision, calling it a confirmation "that Sotheby's expertise is of the highest standards."

That sounds like a Donald Trump spin.

19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Can't be all that expert if they let a Caravaggio slip through unnoticed.:eek::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:

komokwa and Mill Cove Treasures like this.
  20. Kasperscuriosities

Kasperscuriosities Two hundred years too late.

Wow Just wow. That is amazing.

Draft saved Draft deleted