Bronze statues?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Aigi, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Aigi

Aigi Member

Hello guys I got this statue from my grandma, she traveled a lot and I know that she was many times in asia. I checked the internet for bronze statues, bit there are so many. I know it's hard to say if it's a real one and how old it could be. The weight is 4 pounds. Thanks for help :) IMG_20201001_234552__01__01.jpg IMG_20201001_234634__02.jpg IMG_20201001_234658__01.jpg IMG_20201001_235106__01.jpg IMG_20201001_235145__01.jpg IMG_20201001_222602__01.jpg IMG_20201001_235037__02.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Aigi

Aigi Member

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a non-traditional, fairly modern figure based on a Thai 'temple' musician. The big round earrings were added for the 'exotic' look. Probably brass, not bronze.
    It could have been made in Thailand, but since this is non-traditional it could also have been made anywhere.

5. Any Jewelry

It looks like it was once attached to something, probably together with a flute player.

Aigi and komokwa like this.
  6. Aigi

Aigi Member

Hello, had no time to write back yet. I checked many statues of of the musician temple and they look very similar. I think you're right! I will go to the dorotheum next week to check the material. You have a
    very good knowledge of art!
    Thanks again for helping me again :) !!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Will you let us know?:)

8. Aigi

Aigi Member

9. Norbert

Norbert New Member

Hello, Now I've started to be interested in the statues. I prefer the bronze ones. Can you give me where I can buy bronze sculptures like in the attached photo? Where can be them produced? Where are them from? I'd like to have some in not expensive prices. Are they valuable? Thanks in advance.
    ballerina.jpg

10. Any Jewelry

Welcome Norbert. It looks like you are in Hungary.
    This thread is about a brass souvenir from Thailand, not about bronzes.

It is best to start your own thread, but here is something to consider:
    Are you looking for new or antique, genuine by the original artist or foundry, or a reproduction?
    All those things influence the value, as does whether it is by a famous artist or not, which period it is from, etc.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    komokwa likes this.
  11. Norbert

Norbert New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted