Featured Brother Can You Spare a Bedroom (Tour)?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Ghopper1924, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

OK, it's time to tour the other spare bedroom! Sound like fun?
    This walnut bedroom set was made ca. 1870 by the firm of"Foos, Mullikin and Kyle/Wholesale Furniture Manufacturers/Springfield, O." That information is ink-stamped in the top drawer of the dresser. I believe that the ovals would originally have been filled with fabric, but I like this effect better. The nightstand is a solid chestnut work table from the U.S. Midwest ca. 1830. The pewter lamp and dish are contemporary Italian; the dish is filled with custom-made marbles by John Hammon Miller. The vase is French Cameo ca. 1920 and is signed "Richard." The quilt and pillows were made by Ms. G.
    1.jpg

This is a textile from India with lots of gold thread. The figures repeat a la Andy Warhol. Writing on the back says it was purchased in 1970 on a trip. I bought it at an estate sale. Any ideas on who made it or if it has any particular dollar value? Yes, I know we don't really do that, but still....
    2.jpg
    This is the dresser that goes with the set. Resting on it is a pair of peg lamps ca. 1880, an unlabeled Bradley & Hubbard easel mirror ca. 1900, a Schneider vase ca. 1925, a Wavecrest piece ca. 1890 with more marbles in it, and a bride's basket ca. 1890 purchased locally.
    3.jpg
    This is the washstand that goes with the set. On it is a New Haven mantle clock ca. 1880, a hand-painted flower vase that doubles as a kerosene lamp ca. 1890, a contemporary vase and our totem animal, a cast-iron grasshopper. Next to the washstand is a crock from the Kansas City area that's been in the family since before the U.S. Civil War. To the right is a Little Red Riding Hood cast-iron doorstop designed by Grace Drayton (Campbell's Soup Kids) and produced by Hubley in the 1930s. Above is an image from Glacier National Park.
    4.jpg
    This is an unusual walnut woman's desk ca. 1875, produced at 3/4 scale. The gallery and upper portion detach, so that the upper portion can travel, at least around the house. There are perfume bottles and a trinket box above the fall front.
    5.jpg
    Here's a walnut men's shaving stand by Thomas Brooks of New York ca. 1855. Vintage shaving articles rest on the marble; the drawers are lined with curly maple. The McCoy jardiniere is an early one ca. 1900. There is a Christmas Cactus planted in it, descended from a plant that has been in the family since ca. 1830.
    6.jpg
    This is the hallway outside the two spare bedrooms. The boxes include one from England ca. 1620 and an Indian traveling desk ca. 1920. The painting is of the "lowbrow surrealist" school by Anthony Pontius ca. 2010.
    7.jpg
    This walnut hall tree, dating to 1884, was purchased new and installed in a house in a neighboring city in that same year. It stayed in the same front hallway until 2010, when we purchased it when the house left the family. When we got it home it was the most unbelievably dirty piece we've ever bought, covered in mold on the back and dirt on the front. It eventually cleaned up pretty well. There are glass parade canes on each side from glassmaking guilds in Ohio and Michigan ca. 1890-1920. The textile is new, from a neighboring German settlement. The mini oil lamp has sadly lost its original shade. The peg lamp is from our locale ca. 1870 and was one of our first antique purchases. Cool toilet in the background, huh?
    8.jpg
    Another, smaller set of sleigh bells ca. 1880. This martingale has actual bells on it! 9.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Ms. G. ROCKED that quilt - it is perfect with the scrumptious bed!!!

3. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

Everything is just beautiful! Also love the quilt.

pearlsnblume, kyratango, KSW and 2 others like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'm most impressed with the Christmas cactus. What's your secret? My little post-holiday marked down sprig grew well for years but has now become sulky. :(

5. Ghopper1924

That cactus (a previous version, anyway) actually lived through the locust attacks of the 19th century, even though it was eaten down to a nub. Anyway, we try to give it as much sun as possible, water it sparingly but regularly, and otherwise just enjoy it. It's very easy to overwater.

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Once again...Speechless....everything IS Pristine and LOVELY together!!! And am Loving that mens shaving stand with the twisted pedestal!!!! Your wife's quilt fits in Perfectly....with wonderful colors!!! Are those all glass canes standing in the hall tree?? SO COOL!!!! Thank YOU Mr. G. for a Glorious tour!!!! BTW, is your home in a historic district so it could be on a Historic Registry? Should be!!!!:singing::singing::singing::):):)

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Friend repotted it for me & soaked it after. The soil still feels damp after 2 weeks! No wonder the poor thing is dropping branches.

8. Ghopper1924

Thanks, that shaving stand is a favorite of mine too! Yes, we do live in an older (1920-50) neighborhood; it's not on the National Register but I think it should be! :) :)

Bronwen, pearlsnblume and johnnycb09 like this.
  9. Ghopper1924

That will definitely do it! That pot (above) doesn't drain well and we've done the same thing. Fortunately we were able to dry things out while increasing the sun. The plants are pretty resilient and will bounce back, fortunately. I can't imagine the horror of killing a 200-year old plant....:(

10. Pattywithay

Pattywithay Well-Known Member

Stunning! I adore that desk and the shaving stand. Thank you for sharing your treasures.

Bronwen, pearlsnblume and Ghopper1924 like this.
  11. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Beautiful room & hallway!! :happy::happy:

The only piece I have seen that I can help you out with is the green perfume bottle atop the desk. It is either a Paden City c.1930 No. 499 bottle or a New Martinsville bottle if it has an interior swirl effect in the bottle.

12. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Can I move in ? :) I promise to clean up after myself and not snoop TOO much .

13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Really beautiful!
    I’m very envious as I survey the wall that needs redecorating after the kids scribbled smiley faces on it :rolleyes:

14. Rabid Collector

Rabid Collector Well-Known Member

The walnut shaving stand gets my vote. Lovely piece.

15. Rabid Collector

Rabid Collector Well-Known Member

Just a little :)

16. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

When I come for my visit you will have to remove those 2 peg lamps because I know one or both of them would end up on the floor with my clutzy self in the room. :eek::eek: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :hilarious:

Bronwen, Ghopper1924 and pearlsnblume like this.
  17. Ghopper1924

18. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Astonishingly gorgeous rooms with great attention to detail. Mind if I ask, is there anywhere in the house where you have a giant U or L shaped puffy sofa with recliner? Or anything remotely similar? A 65"+ flat screen? Fess up, man!

19. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Just glorious to see. You really know how to put just the right touches on lovely pieces of the past.
    What time do I check in and is there a gift shop?
    Thanks for sharing.

20. Ghopper1924

@ola402 :

There are a couple of rooms like that: the basement and the (former) screened-in porch, now the "back parlor." TVs and sofas alright! But antiques, too.

'Cause we love 'em!

Maybe I'll do a tour of one of those rooms next, to shake things up a little.

@pearlsnblume : You're welcome anytime, of course. No purchase necessary :)

Draft saved Draft deleted