Featured Brown Furniture popular again?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by annea, Aug 13, 2021.

1. annea

annea Member

An article in the most recent issue of Country Living Magazine mentions that antique "brown furniture" is popular again. Anywhere else mentioning it?

judy, Shwikman and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not here.........................:(:wideyed:

3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Here on Cape Cod, because of the influx of new residents fleeing the cities and COVID, antique shops are reporting much better sales of "brown furniture" :)

The down side? Now traffic s***s all year round instead of just June-August :(

4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

It depends on what brown furniture you are talking about.
    Generally speaking, no, not happening.

5. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Are they painting it? Because it’s somewhat popular here at cheap prices - and then people paint it.

6. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Brown mid century/mid century modern is strong......particularly the lighter woods/blonde wood and Danish teak.

7. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

Yes, agree that MCM remains popular, though you figure that has to end sometime soon. Other vintage styles that do reasonably well, despite their brownness, are campaign, some art deco, and certain types of rattan and reed pieces.

8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

So no one else is seeing an increase in brown furniture sales? That in itself is interesting :)

judy, Tanya and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

If you search "brown furniture" popular there are lots of articles online going back to 2019 claiming that it is newly popular with decorators, etc. And some also refers to actual antique and older vintage furniture being popular as a "new neutral." Whether this is just wishful thinking, or whether it's true, I have no idea. I did buy a new desk about a year ago that is brand new but has some hints of the way Mission furniture looks. And it's brown and made of wood, but of course cheaper stuff...not oak.

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Still not popular here in my Midwest location. Only MCM furniture in good original condition is sought after but even that only has a select following. Paint is where the market is at. Have been trying to sell this buffet on fb marketplace for 6 weeks. Have reduced price to $125.00 and have had zero inquiries. This is too nice to paint but I may have to :(

Buffet.JPG

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that would be a shame......:(

12. James Conrad

Loves painted furniture if done well, a bunch of fuddy duddy's in here.:)

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  13. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I love ORIGINAL painted furniture with ORIGINAL paint. But hardly ever see that on this forum; a whole lot of strippers out there. Never paint a piece of furniture you might ever want to see original again - stripping furniture almost always ruins it.

Gatoblanconz and Ghopper1924 like this.
  14. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I agree!!! I have seen some BEAUTIFUL painted furniture that was kept out of a landfill. There are so many pieces with worn or damaged finish. Just look at this fun piece! Beautiful-Colorful-Painted-Furniture-copy-6.jpg

15. James Conrad

Yep, no getting round it, PAINT SELLS!
    I was just reading MAD online, it came out today and this photo was interesting.

click to enlarge
    paint.jpg

16. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

That's what I'm talking about - ORIGINAL painted furniture with ORIGINAL paint (except the last one). I ALWAYS make room for an antique piece with ORIGINAL paint.

Gatoblanconz and Aquitaine like this.
  17. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

See a lot of this with 20th Century pieces. No thanks. paint.jpg

18. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

James Conrad and wiscbirddog like this.
  19. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

To each his/her own I guess. Not my cup of tea.

Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  20. James Conrad

Not my taste but hey, I see nothing wrong with it! You guys are wimps!:p
    Plus the paint can be removed, where is the harm?
    I would rather see it painted and in someone's house being used than it being demoted out of the house where its chances of survival fall dramatically!
    Just sayin..........

Ghopper1924, laura9797 and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted