Brown Glaze Vase 37 -anyone know maker?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Herve, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Herve

Herve New Member

fullsizeoutput_6ff1.jpeg fullsizeoutput_6fef.jpeg fullsizeoutput_6ff2.jpeg Attached photos of this brown glazed vase marked 37 on the base under the glaze. Flower form tab handles on the sides...stands 5 7/8" tall. Does anyone know it's maker? fullsizeoutput_6fef.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    Joe2007 likes this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's quite attractive, I don't know who made it, but someone may. Please show us a picture of the bottom and of the interior.

i need help likes this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Belgian, possibly.

i need help likes this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Joe2007, komokwa and i need help like this.
  5. Herve

Herve New Member

Thanks! Thats a start anyway...appreciate your help...

say_it_slowly likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Herve, it would help if people know where you are, or where you found the vase. And I don't mean my neighbour's attic.:playful:

Where are my manners, welcome Herve.

i need help likes this.
  7. Herve

Herve New Member

Thank you! Located in central Pennsylvania here...like glass and pottery...

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm not even close to an expert, but from the glaze and clay was going to say Ohio somewhere.

9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

By searching using 537 matte vase there are quite a few like yours only in green or white. Most are calling it Brush McCoy. Still don't know if it's correct however I had been thinking there was something in front of the 37 on yours.

i need help likes this.
  10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

It is usually attributed to Brush Pottery but I couldn't find it in a quick search of my Brush books. It might be worth running it past the Vintage American Pottery Identification group on Facebook.

i need help likes this.
  11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

dgbjwc likes this.
  12. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Without a reference, I wonder if all the people listing it as Brush McCoy just copied each other (even if it does turn out to be right).

i need help likes this.
  13. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

It's possible. Both the glaze and shape are similar to Brush Pottery products. It is NOT Brush McCoy. This shape is inconsistent with other products from that short lived venture. I still haven't found a reference (beyond what INH found) for Zanesville as the producer though. I may have one of these critters around here myself; I just have to track it down. When I do I'll post it to the Vintage American Pottery Identification Facebook page and see what they have to say.

i need help likes this.
  14. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Found it pretty quick. My example is green and unmarked. Sorry for the chaos in the background. Have already posted my query on Facebook. Will let you know if I hear anything.

IMG_20210111_115801223.jpg IMG_20210111_120336108.jpg

i need help likes this.
  15. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

It's Brush. The folks on the Facebook page helped direct me. I've got a book and page reference. Sanford's Guide to Brush-McCoy Pottery, Book 2, page 31. Brush Pottery vase #537 6" Mat Vase. The catalog page it is pictured on is undated but it is consistent with other vases produced in the 1940's.

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted