Brown pottery churn with blue lid and blue inside

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by rknarr2, Jun 30, 2019.

1. rknarr2

rknarr2 Well-Known Member

I found this inside a box wrapped in newspaper. My sister wrote on the newspaper English's Mother's churn. Back in the 1950s at a jazz dance party. Randy English was the dj and my dad became friends. He has been a friend of the family since then. When his mother passed away and we were in Vermont, he told my mom to pick something out and we assume that is where this came from before he and his sister auctioned off the rest as well as the house with the connected barn. It was a really old white house and barn. Really awesome to have seen it a couple times we went on vacation to Vermont when we were on vacation to see him. Sorry about the history lesson.
    I found this brown pottery churn with blue lid and blue inside. The blue lid is 5 3/4" diameter and the churn top from edge to edge is 6 5/8" diameter or from open to open sides is 5 1/4" diameter, the bottom is 6" diameter and the height is 7". It has elephant ear handles. I hope someone can identify the company and era. Thank you for assistance in this request. Rob
    IMG_9105small.JPG IMG_9106small.JPG IMG_9109small.JPG IMG_9111small.JPG IMG_9112small.JPG

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

It's not a churn. A churn would have the whole in the center top.

I think it is a bean pot or soup tureen.

Redwing?
    @*crs*
    @janetpjohn

Bronwen, Christmasjoy, judy and 4 others like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Much more bean pot shape than churn. But bean pots don't ordinarily have a hole in the lid, so I'm leaning toward soup tureen.

4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I think Zanesville Country Fare.

dgbjwc, Bronwen, Christmasjoy and 4 others like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not a little on the small side for soup ???

Bronwen, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

7. rknarr2

I think you are dead on on that. I saw a bean pot that was very much alike to this except the hole on the side. Thank you. Rob

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

9. rknarr2

10. rknarr2

I found out it is a soup tureen. Thank you for the education. Rob

Draft saved Draft deleted