Brown Pottery Toby Jug --Can't Find It

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by birgittaw, Jul 4, 2016.

1. birgittaw

birgittaw Active Member

This was part of a mixed auction lot from a gallery, later listed on eBay by the buyer who knew nothing. Neither do I, but in the lot were all English Dalton Toby jugs, a Gaudy Welsh piece, a Davenport piece, etc.

And this brown jug. 5" tall, two part mold. Odd glaze -- found one similar jug (but with hands) described as Bennington glaze, but that is not it. Feels very thin, can't tell what kind of material it is -- nothing shows. No markings, stilt marks on the bottom and spots of thick excess glaze,

Can't quite decide if this is really bad or almost good, or in between. Anyone have any suggestions? I tried a British pottery board, and consensus was that it was American.

Thanks all!

pot1.jpg pot3.jpg pot4.jpg

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Well, several people clicked "Like" but I guess nobody has ideas. I think it's cute.

Draft saved Draft deleted