Featured Brush back

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Frank, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

This was, I assume, a back for a brush. It's marked sterling, and 925/1000, and has a couple of other marks. I'm sure it's not a fine piece, but I've always found it charming. My guess is that it was made in the '20's as part of a set, but this is all that remains. I haven't weighed it, but it measures 4.5 x 3.25 inches. Not really seeking information about it, just sharing for the fun of it. P1180150.JPG P1180155.JPG

lovewrens, Any Jewelry, dude and 3 others like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That is fun. But, you know... I'd think a brush or mirror back too except... the orientation of the design isn't quite right. Instinctively, you've placed it for photography the way it appears most attractive -- horizontally -- but a brush or mirror would be vertical. Just food for thought.

Debora

3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The design on clothing brushes can be either direction depending on the design.

dude likes this.
  4. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

If it had a handle, I'd agree. I think this was just an oval hair brush. However, I'm willing to entertain suggestions. If it's not a brush back, what could it be?

dude likes this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

What does it say after 925/1000?
    Looks like F something.

dude likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Some hairbrushes didn't have handles. Clothes brushes generally didn't. That could be your answer.

Houseful, kyratango and dude like this.
  7. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

It’s got an interesting design. It looks like they are flying right out of the silver at you in a 3D movie kind of way.

8. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

What does the other side look like?

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A handless hair brush is held vertically, not on the horizontal. Take a look at dresser sets. It's typical that the orientation of the design is the same on all of the pieces.

Debora

kyratango likes this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've seen cut glass boxes with lids like that.

Houseful and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I was thinking lid as well. Either on a glass box, or inlaid in wood or stone.

Houseful likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking but could find no similars with a quick internet image search.

Debora

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted