Bucherer gold Ruby ring ?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by lighthouse121, Apr 12, 2023.

1. lighthouse121

lighthouse121 New Member

Hi I think this is made by bucherer,but am not sure it has a 375 with other hall marks and on the pics are some other marks. Any info would be a great help thanks

Attached Files:

Dessert58 likes this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Looks more garnet than ruby. The stone color looks wrong, although lighting can mess things up. Can we see the hallmarks? Those would tell us 90% of what we're looking at.

wlwhittier likes this.
  3. lighthouse121

lighthouse121 New Member

Hi thanks I will try and up load some tomorrow . Is it a particular style

4. evelyb30

It's a classic cocktail ring. There's a maker's mark on it somewhere. The Bucherer name is just the retailer, not who made the ring.

Dessert58 and komokwa like this.
  5. lighthouse121

lighthouse121 New Member

Thanks I will try and get some close up pics of the marks tomorrow.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

If it is the Swiss Bucherer, they have their own jewellery ateliers as well.
    I don't recognize any Swiss cartouche shapes where the marks are, but we need better photos of the marks.

7. evelyb30

As far as I know, the Swiss Bucherer only works in 18k, 750 in European terms, unless they made some export oddballs for the British market. A lot of places don't recognize .375 as gold.

8. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Just popping in with some very unimportant info... :)
    My sister lived in Lucerne in 1979-81. My mother and I visited her in 1980 and mom bought me a watch in the Bucherer store. Wish I still had it!

komokwa likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I am aware of what 18k is, it is also a European term.
    The carat/karat weight assessment system came to Europe from the Middle East in Roman/Byzantine times, and was taken from here to North America at a much later date.

Bucherer Switzerland also exports, and the Swiss have export marks, which is what I was looking for.
    I don't know if Bucherer makes 375 gold for export to countries where it is legally gold. The Bucherer jewellery we get is 750, for obvious reasons.
    Switzerland does. Could be the Central European influence.

But in this case I think the box is a Bucherer box, and the ring is probably not Bucherer.

BoudiccaJones, stracci and Bakersgma like this.
  10. evelyb30

I knew you did, but someone else might not. (like a lot of USA antique dealers, whom I am NOT telling!)

11. lighthouse121

lighthouse121 New Member

Hi sorry for the delay in uploading pics . I can't get a good pic of the small stamp I think it says R&W but can't be sure . Thanks for all your help
    Regards

Attached Files:

12. lighthouse121

lighthouse121 New Member

Extra pic

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted