Featured Buffet... how old / what area is this from?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by AVP, Jan 9, 2021.

1. AVP

AVP New Member

235B4748-12A5-486B-AABE-43D150635C62.jpeg D19B181A-85F5-47CC-AC18-3CA8A452F682.jpeg C3401A85-5035-4AB4-AEEF-E0E37F616749.jpeg 3560328B-8A9F-4F06-941E-528EABA1FC49.jpeg 6890BD59-0205-4A0B-959D-BFBA7AEC2530.jpeg 3D9ED384-305B-4B27-B3D7-0D30DBD8A843.jpeg 5535054E-1F43-45A5-855C-79B6587B90F6.jpeg 6EB1A9AA-6661-46E7-B4D8-ED828E10DDE2.jpeg New here! Got this beautiful buffet and was hoping to find out more about it. There are no marks anywhere. Wanted to stain it darker but don’t want to ruin it if it has value or is an antique.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's very nice !

judy likes this.
  3. AVP

AVP New Member

Thanks! I am not sure I uploaded all the pictures correctly. First time on a forum! There are sawtooth shelf holders inside the cabinet.

judy and komokwa like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

go back to the post...and click edit...then hit full image on the photo's for all of them to show up in the proper size....

Aquitaine, judy and AVP like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

That looks VERY NICE, AND Pretty NEW!! Also looks like it’s got a sealer coat on it!! Personally I wouldn’t touch it, but to each his own!!! Those look like just faux strap hinges on it.... will those few light drip stains on the lower part of the right door wipe off???

judy and James Conrad like this.
  6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Agrees, thinks it is probably a decorator type piece, modern. It's quartered oak with machine carving, a Tudor rose on flanking panels, it is nice but don't think antique.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    Aquitaine and judy like this.
  7. Aquitaine

@James Conrad, as the OP asked, what area do you think the piece ‘would like’ to show/say it’s FROM???

8. James Conrad

???? Have you fallen off a stump over there? :hilarious:
    What area or era?
    A Tudor rose is the traditional floral heraldic emblem of England. There were 4 or 5 monarchs during this period in the 16th century starting with one of the Henry's and ending with Elizabeth, the virgin queen.
    I don't understand the question so I am babbling on over here!:confused::p:hilarious:

Tudor Rose

1200px-Tudor_Rose.svg.png

i need help likes this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Maybe some reproduction of this?
    I will leave this for the stump to assess if it’s even a correct assessment, Danish????
    https://www.harpgallery.com/shop/item30478.html

I’m wondering if the heraldry shield on yours (likely fantasy) is leaning toward Irish implications.

Any Jewelry and James Conrad like this.
  10. James Conrad

Very similar form it looks like to me. Clearly, 20th-century made piece. I think OP piece, the emblem wants to be a Tudor rose but could be something else.

i need help likes this.
  11. James Conrad

HILARIOUS! The old women are falling off their stumps like flies this morning!:hilarious::p

i need help likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

James' area of expertise is early American.;)
    This one is more my neck of the woods, just south of me, in Belgian Brabant. It is from Mechelen in northern Belgium (province of Antwerp). I would date it to ca 1960s.
    Mechelen has had an important woodcarving and furniture industry since the 15th century, using mostly local oak. The furniture styles evolved over the ages, but it always has detailed carving with a historic feel.
    It is not a Tudor rose though. Not every double rose is Tudor, especially not on non-English items. And as you can see, it is different from the Tudor rose you posted.
    So just a decorative rose carving.
    The other carvings are of Brabant/Flemish villages, and a Low Countries inn scene, maybe based on a painting. An important Brabant painter was Pieter Brueghel the Elder, who also worked in Mechelen. He was known for his village, peasant, and inn scenes.

Darkwing Manor, komokwa and Aquitaine like this.
  13. Aquitaine

‘Have you fallen off a stump over there? :hilarious:
    What area or era?’

First of all, I’m not “over there”....I’m here in the USA.... secondly, I was only trying to help the OP to get an answer to HIS question of “what AREA” we thought his piece was from.......

14. Any Jewelry

Since 'the early Americana stump' didn't, this one will.;) It is also from Mechelen, but a few decades earlier. Very nice piece.

Mechelen tends to move through Europe. According to internet sources it is often found in France, and sometimes moves to Germany or Denmark.
    The people still speak (Flemish) Brabants though, wherever they are. And the town is still a beautiful Brabant town, steeped in history:

[​IMG]

15. Any Jewelry

Yay, Aqui!:kiss:

i need help likes this.
  16. Aquitaine

BTW, “Where I am now, you too soon will be”....can’t remember whose quote it is....but someone well known!!:p:D:happy::joyful:

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. James Conrad

It's an "inside" joke with another member, marthahill on the stump thing, (concerns Texas furniture) TAKE IT EASY!:hilarious:
    Your stump might be a bit wobbly this morning!

Aquitaine and i need help like this.
  18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Certainly not a Tudor rose, or remotely like one as @Any Jewelry rightly says.

She's given you all the information, but even before reading it, I thought it from the Netherlands. The houses are a giveaway, but the tavern scenes are the big thing: seen on Dutch silver and silver plate a great deal. And copied on fifties brass pieces too.

19. James Conrad

Well, I am calling it a Tudor rose, DEAL WITH IT!:cigar:
    Naturally, unlike others here who are never wrong, I could be wrong.:p
    It's not American for 1 thing I don't think and, if it ain't American it ain't happening!:hilarious:

20. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Fess up, You were “Stumped” :hilarious:

Draft saved Draft deleted