Featured Burmese Bracelet

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Anna Johndrow, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Anna Johndrow

Anna Johndrow Active Member

Hello again! Still digging through my great grandmother's jewelry and would like your input on this bracelet. I received this bracelet along with a great family story when I was about 14. Apparently my grandmother had inherited it from her mother in law and was wearing it and lost it. There was great anguish and tearing of hair and it was given up as gone forever. Then, many years later my father was visiting the lake house while on a break from college and was asked to flip the mattresses. He found the bracelet stuck in the coils of the box spring (back in the day when those coils were uncovered). So, as a reward for that heroic find I was gifted it when my grandmother passed away. It was always said that the stones were pink spinel rubies. There are 16 stones, all of uniform size with slight variations in color intensity amongst them. It is my understanding that the metal is NOT gold, but something mixed with copper which makes it pinkish. The bracelet has no makers mark. I wore it a lot until the safety chain broke and I have just never gotten it repaired.

Any thoughts as to value? I am not interested in selling it, but would like to know its value. THIS I think my daughter will wear! IMG_3967.JPEG IMG_3971.JPEG IMG_3972.JPEG IMG_3972.JPEG IMG_3969.JPEG

2. reader

reader Well-Known Member

How pretty and what a great story. Wait for the pros but if it were mine I’d get it tested to make sure it’s not rose gold and ruby. I don’t think we’re allowed to discuss values here but the jeweler who tests it can give you a verbal idea which won’t include the wonderful family history. I bet your daughter will love it.

3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Take it to a jeweler and get it tested,no one can tell what the materials are from a photo.

KSW, pearlsnblume, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

To find out value you will have to have the metal and stones tested. Do you have a jeweler near you that you trust to test it for you?

5. Anna Johndrow

Anna Johndrow Active Member

Yes, I do! I will do that and finally get the safety chain repaired! Thanks.

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Gorgeous! Have never seen a bracelet use that twisted ribbon look. Could use a cleaning, I think, something else the jeweller can do.

7. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

So pretty! And what a story:woot:
    Yes, take it to your jeweller for test and repair:)
    :cyclops: With this lovely work of the metal on the back, I bet there is some gold in it;)

8. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Great story! Beautiful piece!
    Leslie

KSW, reader and Bronwen like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'd even wear that !!!!
    Sweet looking piece..........

Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Since you aren't selling it you would want to know an insurance value. Probably need a professional for that...

It is gorgeous, with a great story!

anundverkaufen, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

it is gorgeous, Anna. And a great story.
    They use suassa in parts of Asia, an alloy which does contain gold. Most of my Indonesian suassa pieces have 9-10k gold in them, which would be recognized as gold in some countries.
    Absolutely. The colours of rose, pink and red gold are caused by copper mixed in to the gold alloy.

kyratango, Bronwen and anundverkaufen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted